The generation that by no means would pass away until all things occurred

by professor 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    The Spirit testifies WITH our spirit. The scripture does not say that the Spirit testifies TO our spirit that we are God's Children.

To me, this is yet another strong indication that we are more than simply flesh and blood. If, as the WT claims, our spirit is simply the "life-force" that activates our cells that keeps us alive and has no conscienceness or awareness at all, then how on earth can "The (Holy) Spirit testify with our spirit" than we are God's Children? Would it make sense if the scripture read "The Spirit testifies with our life-force that is like electricity, that we are God's Children"???

• Nickey
    Nickey

How would I get a hold of the November 1st copy of the watchtower? Surprisingly, my JW family has requested to see it since they still claim the 1914 generation is still being taught...

• blondie
    blondie

Nickey, don't they have a copy in their personal bound volume? It would be more impressive to show them in something they have themselves.

This Question from the Readers sums up the confusing concept the WTS tried to explain in 1995. Many JWs were still confused in 1997.:

*** w97 5/1 29 Questions From Readers ***

Could it be said that the recently updated understanding of the word "generation" at Matthew 24:34 allows for the idea that the end of the system of things could be delayed into the distant future?

That is certainly not the case. On the contrary, the recent improved understanding of this matter should help us to keep in constant expectation of the end. How so?

Well, as The Watchtower of November 1, 1995, explained, Jesus applied the phrase "this generation" to

contemporary wicked people. (Matthew 11:7, 16-19; 12:39, 45; 17:14-17; Acts 2:5, 6, 14, 40) It was not, as such, a description of a fixed length of time beginning with a specific date. (my comment: such as 1914 and a generation being 70 or 80 years)

In fact, "Questions From Readers" in that same issue of The Watchtower focused on two key points: "A generation of people cannot be viewed as a period having a fixed number of years" and, "The people of a generation live for a relatively brief period."

We often use "generation" in this way. For example, we might say, ‘The soldiers of Napoléon’s generation knew nothing about airplanes and atom bombs.’ Would we be referring just to soldiers who were born in the very same year as Napoléon was? Would we be referring merely to those French soldiers who died before Napoléon did? Of course not; nor would we by such a use of "generation" be trying to fix a set number of years. We would, though, be referring to a relatively short period, not hundreds of years from Napoléon’s time into the future.

It is similar with our understanding of what Jesus said in his prophecy given on the Mount of Olives. The fulfillment of the different features of that prophecy proves that the end of this system is close. (Matthew 24:32, 33) Remember that according to Revelation 12:9, 10, with the establishment of God’s heavenly Kingdom in 1914, Satan was cast down to the vicinity of the earth. Revelation adds that Satan now has great anger. Why? Because he knows "he has a short period of time."—Revelation 12:12.

It was thus appropriate that The Watchtower of November 1 carried the subheading "Keep on the Watch!" The following paragraph aptly said: "We do not need to know the exact timing of events. Rather, our focus must be on being watchful, cultivating strong faith, and keeping busy in Jehovah’s service—not on calculating a date." Then it quoted Jesus’ words: "Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is. But what I say to you I say to all, Keep on the watch."—Mark 13:33, 37.

• smurfette
    smurfette

Thank's for this topic Professor! I had no idea and am once again blown away that people can accept chameleon like changes in their beliefs. Especially something like this which was supposed to be so pivitol. Thank you for the info SaintSatan much appreciated, and live long and prosper Mary.

-Margy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mary

Why not take the whole step? It would be: if our spirit is our life force, then god's spirit is his life force.

I would go further than that. Since god is spirit (per the wt) and nothing but spirit (i think the wt would not be able to disagree w that), then god is only impersonal 'life force'.

Also, it seems to me that the arguement was put forth that the 'our spirit' referred to here, was our mind. In that case, it would be god's mind communicating to human minds. In this scenario, spirit is consequently ejected out of the process.

SS

• professor
    professor

I came back in on this a little late. Thanks for all the responses. Nickey, my mother was also unaware of the change until I brought it to her attention. Seems like they tried to sneak this one in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit