The generation that by no means would pass away until all things occurred

by professor 25 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

Wow! I longed for the day when the last of the anointed remnant was on his/her death bed and all of the witnesses awaited to be swept away into the new system.

Who knew that they could just, with one stroke of "new light" change everything and do away with this hope/doctrine. How many times did I preach it from door to door and misrepresent God and the Bible!

• smurfette
    smurfette

What exactly is the "new light" on the remant? I've been out since '93, my JW family on the rare occasion we speak doesn't fill me in on stuff like radical changes in doctrine unless I know to ask, and I rarely see new publications.

• Mary
    Mary

The "New Light" is that "this generation" that Jesus was referring to, was not the generation of 1914, but rather Star Trek: The Next Generation. So we know for a fact, that Captain Jean Luc Picard's generation will not pass away "until all these thing occur."

• lawrence
    lawrence

Based on the "adaptive theology" we once preached from the platform and door to door, it is obvious that as the elite die off, the Organization will have to charge many of the dead with "not having their wedding garments secured when they passed over" and a new group will get the calling, and this will perpetuate the Little Flock. It will be "so obvious" to Brooklyn, yet revealed "in its own due time." Once again, Jehovah's Genius Prophets will come to the rescue with the answer, and a new group of peddlers will be made obedient to the cause.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

What was that scripture that the JWs used to identify one as anointed? Anyone remember?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    What was that scripture that the JWs used to identify one as anointed?

There's a scripture? I thought it was basically that anointed people just know they are anointed. If you have any questions or doubts about being anointed, you're not.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The text they usually cite is Romans 8:15-17:

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Not that that text says anything about a special heavenly class. There is no indication anywhere in the book of Romans as to a limited class. What Paul writes is intended for all Christians.

• Loris
    Loris

Nosferatu are you thinking of Romans 8:16 ? "The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God's children."

The anointed claim that they just know that they are special children of God. It's something us ordinary mortals can not fully understand so in so many words, "Shut up and don't question us about details.'

Loris

Seems that great minds think alike Neon. we were posting at the same time.

• Mary
    Mary

What I find interesting is that the book of Revelation, that mentions the "144,000 that were chosen from the earth", wasn't written until 96 or 98CE. That means that all other Christians who lived before this time assumed that ALL Christians went to heaven; there wasn't just a select few, nor did they believe that 99.9% of Christians would live on earth forever. This idea never came about until Judge Booze Rutherford made it up in 1934 or 1935.

I'm not aware of any other Christian religion that limits the number that go to heaven; something unique to the Borg.

• freein89
    freein89

o crap, and I thought I was a child of god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit