I need a good beating for what I did this morning

by freeman 27 Replies latest jw friends

• freeman
    freeman

This morning I let my emotions run away with me and challenged my 20-year-old son into defending his loyalty to the WATCHTOWER shunning doctrine. It was not good, I’m in no way proud of myself. I’m sure he and my DUB wife will likely mischaracterize it as an attack on GOD; anything said against the TOWER is always an attack on GOD.

Emotions ran high, voices were raised and I just hope I did not put my son over the edge. That is what I am worried about; my son at age 20 is an emotional cripple. As his father, it's very hard for me to say that, but it is unfortunately very true. He can’t handle stress of any kind or normal everyday disappointments like most people can. He has VERY serious mood swings among other emotional problems, and I strongly suspect he suffers from bipolar disorder. Two semesters of college phyc classes does not make me in anyway an expert on the subject, but he has all the classic signs judging from everything I have read.

Here is what precipitated the row this morning:

Last night I learned that two boys, brothers to each other and dis-fellowshipped for about a year now, boys we have been very good friends with for over 10 years, were in very serious condition after a fight. A fight which I understand transpired in a bar. I am not surprised it happened in a bar as the boys have gone downhill very fast since their dis-fellowshipping and subsequent loss of every friend they had in the world as a result of their new religious status. All their so-called friends were witnesses and everyone of them now shuns them. Now the boys hang out with a very bad crowd, lots of drug use etc.

The one boy Adam had several bones broken and multiple lacerations. That’s bad enough, but unfortunately Adam is in much better shape then his older brother Seth who among his other serious injuries that put him in critical condition includes a punctured, bleeding, and collapsed lung. Seth was stabbed, his throat slashed and like his brother, beaten with bats from what I understand. Someone attempted to murder both of them and my son has been upset over this, but yet he can’t check on them, he can’t see them in the hospital, make a call, or even offer a prayer because the two boys are dis-fellowshipped.

All the “friends” of course still shun both of them too, as everyone is obliged by WATCHTOWER dogma to shun these boys, even when they are near death’s door. Now if they were convicted child rapists but not dis-fellowshipped then the “friends” could visit them, but smoke a cigarette or break some other mad-made WATCHTOWER rule and it’s out the door you go. SICK!

The thing that really got me is that I found my son all dressed up this morning for service waiting to be picked up by yet a third brother in this family, Luke. And yes these are their real names, all very biblical don’t you think?

After realizing my son was all dressed up to go spread this propaganda with Luke to other unsuspecting people, everything welled up in me and I lost it. I just could not contain the resentment I feel for this cult and how it dehumanizes normal family relationships and so I lost it right then and there, I really lost it and let my emotionally fragile child have it with both barrels. I normally walk on eggshells with him because he is so fragile. I won't go into deatils of what was said, I more or less challenged him to put his money where his mouth was and show me the scriptural basis for shunning, and I did it in a very unkind way.

As I walked out the door hurriedly on my way to work, I taunted him that he needs to tell everyone on who’s door he knocks about the WATCHTOWER’s loving provision of shunning for people near death, and that he has all day to look up the scriptures, and he better be ready to prove his case for shunning to me from the Bible when I get home.

Of course he can’t and won’t but I just had to get that last little dig in. If my son does not emotionally meltdown, (and God I hope not) then he should have an interesting conversation with Luke about what I said as he was going to be picked up in just a few minutes. He and Luke can then both high-five each other WATCHTOWER style over the foolishness of what brother inactive (that’s me) had to say.

Someone reading this post may wonder, why the hell I would ever want to broadcast to the world this personal information about family members and myself. The answer is simple, I WANT TO SAVE OTHERS FROM THE PAIN I AM GOING THROUGH!

For anyone reading this, please investigate the WATCHTOWER, don’t join because they seem like nice people, research their organization first, then make up your mind! You have a right to ask questions!

Freeman

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I don't blame you one little bit. Now, go get some flowers and visit those boys in the hospital!!! You gave your son something to think about and you can't protect him forever from his emotional problems. I think it will do those boys a lot of good to see a friendly face. And please tell them from me that I hope they get better soon and I hope they will stop their self-destructive behavior because I know they're better than that.

Love,

Nina

• unique1
    unique1

Well if you feel bad, apologise for the manner in which you addressed things this morning. Just don't apologise for expressing your opinion. Just let him know that you know he is trying to do what he believes is right but as his father you feel a need to tell him if you think he is taking the wrong course. Also assuming these boys are the same age as him, it may also bring up emotions that it could be your son there in the hospital. When a child is hurt that we know, we all have a tendency to look at our own children and appreciate the fact that they are happy and healthy. Let him know that as well if that is how you feel. Perphaps the apology linked with your obvious show of concern will help him avoid an emotional breakdown. Best wishes.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{Freeman}}

I probably would have done the same thing. Not that that is a good way to handle things, however, you reached a point and said some things you regret.

Have you tried to get your son to a doctor or to a therapist? Just to check on the mood swings etc. if nothing else. He could be seriously depressed. Or bi-polar. That should be checked.

I would go visit the young men in the hospital and show your son what real caring and friendship is about. You can set a good example for him.

I would try to apologize for the harsh words. Tell him you love him. Apologizing to a young person goes a long way.

Hopefully the young men will recover and your son will be ok.

• Loris
    Loris

I too feel that an apology is in order. An apology for the way it was said, not necessarily for the content. You are entitled to the way you feel. Hiding our feelings on this distructive cult helps no one.

How about after the apology, invite your son to accompany you to the hospital. If he declines, let him know you respect his feelings and his right to shun his former friends. You do not have to agree with it, but at the same time you want to show respect for his beliefs. (no matter how cokeyed they are).

Best wishes for a peaceful outcome to this tragedy.

Loris

• obiwan
    obiwan

YOU, don't need a good beating, the org does! I will agree the opology should be made for the presentation, not the reason for it. I don't know your exact situation with your family but I think you should go visit those boys, afterall if you are confronting him with this and basically wanting him to make a personal decision on this then show him by going to the hospital. Your son could be doing more thinking on this than you give him credit for and if you help him take that step by you doing it first, he may surprise you and take that step also.

I wish you were in MI, I would go and visit them after work. Maybe you could give the name and address of this hospital so we can support these two young men, maybe help give them a direction.

• amac
    amac

I agree with the above statements...an apology with an explanation of why it makes you so emotional and upset to see him shun others.

• kproscts
    kproscts

my thoughts are with you on this, best wishes.

• mustang
    mustang

I would have done the same thing.

My fleshly brother is a "closet 'postate"; my sister-in-law is a "practicing JW" (her self-description) and my nephew is recently baptized and recently diagnosed as BIPOLAR. It has been 28 years since I've been to a meeting.

So, I don't have to imagine this whole scenario in my family: I've already seen similar messes. And "both barrels" is how I deal with these situations. I view it as dealing with reality.

Mustang

• happyout
    happyout

(((freeman)))

I know how easy it is to lose your temper regarding some of the vicious, stupid rules that the WTS enforces. There's nothing wrong with getting upset, just in how you express it. Being human, we all lose it sometimes, and as you already know, you need to apologise for the manner in which you spoke. Not what you said, you were right on the money with that.

Don't be too hard on yourself, though, after all you were basically defending two young men whose lives are in jeapardy (spelling).

Good luck, let us know how everything works out.

Happyout

ps the advice about getting your son to a therapist is great, you should really really try to do that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit