Don't Take The Mickey..

by Englishman 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Shutterbug
  • Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Did you spot the deliberate mistake?

Actually, no I didn't spot the fact that capital and grammar were both spelled with all caps in your post. I had to look for the problem. Anyway I feel better now and I promise you I will never misspell those two words again.

• obiwan
    obiwan

EL! I hate english class!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Another annoying thing is when people pick up on other's errors!

Agreed! Although I am annoyed with grammatical errors, it annoys me more when someone constantly corrects another person's grammar when they didn't ask to be corrected.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    And some people seem to use apostrophes whenever pluralizing a word. "I have two dog's!"

Maybe a co-joined "dog" that possesses the Master.... (well, it could happen).

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    It's not "Micheal", it's "Michael"!

Thank you so very much, Englishman! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It annoys me to no end when someone spells my name that way! When I got my first driver's license, the imbecile at the DMV spelled my name on the license "Micheal" in spite of having my birth certificate right there in front of her. Would you believe that in order to have it corrected they actually wanted me to bring my birth certificate back to them? Over something as trivial as the order of two simple vowels!

-------

"Your" instead of "you're" bugs me to. Ah, there's another one! Use of the preposition "to" in place of the adverb "too". Don't forget the way some constantly incorrectly interchange the words "they're", "their", and "there".

Mike.

• mouthy
    mouthy

In school -I didnt pass spelling -in the WT I couldnt pass arithmetic- On Simons line I am picked up for spelling. Darn it all English!!!! give an old woman a break---I reached 76 being told HOW To!!! Sorry mate I just dont feel like getting out the dictionary every time I want to respond......Leave me in my uneducated ways. Or tell be to get off the b....y line. (((((Hug)))...

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

Now mouthy!

Newly humbled by my reproof over invoking the Goddess Fortuna you should not now be proving yourself a mambo of the Jazzy Belle class.

We must be kind. What do terms like 'I was a Witless' J Witlessness, Kindumb Hell, door to bore Misery teach us?

(Voice rising:) Do we not feel a sense of deep humanitarian indulgence, a duty of patience of yadda yadda -

WELL HELL NOO -They would never even dream of showing that to us.

N

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

Actually (counsel to our dear Jazzy Belle aside),

The use of the apostrophe in english plurals has a long history. The texts of Shakespeare do occasionally use it.

Victorian grammarians attempted to standardise English in line with latin and created artificial rules to do so. (Sounds like another bunch of old timers.) So they said "It is I"

Not "It's me" as in french etc.

The apostrophe problem arises because in the days before radio or TV ironed out fine distinctions of pronunciation, people still said "eggis" (pl) or "dogges" (pl) The addition of the unnecessary ( ' ) is to do with pronunciation and provenance of the writer's ancestors.

SIDEBAR - How like Fred Franz am I ????????????

• talesin
    talesin

drwtsn32

favourite colour - Concise Oxford Dictionary

favorite color - Webster's

Brit or US?

you decide, but IMO, neither is wrong

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit