How Cultish are the JW's?

by xjwsrock 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

First off, I certainly agree the JW's are a cult. But I'm sensitive to black-and-white thinking now.

So, where do they rank on the scale? Think of a Cultish Religion scale from 0-10.

Consider the likes of Unitarian Universalism vs Baptist vs Amish vs Charles Manson.

Where do you think JW's fall on the scale?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The JW's are told to;

who they can love, who they can associate with, what they can wear, abstain from life-saving medical treatment with blood, how to spend their time, not to celebrate ANY holidays, what to watch for entertainment.....I don't know but nothing sounds more like a ''cult'' to me. I have to say right up on the scale around 8 or 9.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Where do they fall on the scale?

That's a tough scale to exhibit. Heaven's Gate and Branch Davidians would be TEN in many books, but their membership was so small in comparison to JW's. JW's have 8 million or so members, but they haven't (yet) told the members to drink the Kool-Aid like they did at Jonestown.

I would have to say that everyone's scale will be different.
    Many churches exert little control over the day-to-day lives of members. Cults like the JW's exert high control over that. They encourage shunning and withdrawing from normal "worldly" events and lifestyles. They wreck the future for many young ones, either through crushing their goals or through making them choose normalcy over family.

On my scale, JW's would be an EIGHT out of TEN. That leaves room for the real whacko killers and reincarnated messiahs to the NINE AND TEN portion, but also allows the Universalists and lower control groups below that number. But to be fair, I would put Muslims right up there at EIGHT also.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Onthewayout: JW's have 8 million or so members, but they haven't (yet) told the members to drink the Kool-Aid like they did at Jonestown.

The WTS has their members sign no blood cards instead.

The number of JWs who have quietly, and some not so quietly, committed suicide for the blood cult far outweighs the numbers who gave up their lives dramatically in cults like Heaven's Gate and Jonestown.

The WTS is more subtle than "those other cults". And far more effective. They have been getting their members to commit suicide for 70 years now.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I would put the JW at around 7 out of ten .

High controlling, coercive, deceiving and manipulative nevertheless.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I would consult an expert like Steven Hassan... I have yet to do so, but that;s what I;d do to find an answer to this question

just sayin

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

I agree with much of what you guys/gals are saying. I look at the thought-stopping and other blatant manipulation in the JW's. The willingness to let members kill themselves over their half-wit interpretation of 2000 year old scripture (blood). OrphanCrow I haven't thought of the org like that, but you're right. They really are a subtle version of the suicide cults. That's a sobering thought.

I guess I see the Amish and other heavily isolated crazies as being 9's on the scale. The Charles Mansons, Jonestowns of the world are the 10's. So JW's would be an 8 to me (same as OTWO). Control is high but immediate physical danger lower than the groups further up the chain.

Mormons like 7.5

Scientology 8.5

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

That blood doctrine is a terrible one, dangerous. I'll stand to be corrected, but from what I've understand a blood transfusion procedure was not performed until within the last century or so, I think I'm not sure of the exact timeline I read it a few years ago.

So, if that's the case, that scripture in Acts was referring simply to injesting/eating blood. How in hell would someone be able to attempt a blood transfusion in bible times is just beyond me.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Scientology 9.5

WTS - 9.0

Mormons - 7.0

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Jim Jones, David Koresh, Heavens Gate 10

FLDS 9.5

Scientology 9.0

JW 8.5

Mormons 7.5

I'd say its hard to get into the "super cult zone" unless you really get people isolated from the rest of society, but JWs do a damn good job of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit