PLEASE consider becoming an Organ Donor - (UK)

by nicolaou 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

The following is taken from the NHS UK Transplant website at http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.htm

Today more than 5,500 people in the UK are waiting for an organ transplant that could save or dramatically improve their life.

Most are waiting for a kidney*, others for a heart, lung or liver transplant. But less than 3,000 transplants are carried out each year.

There is a desperate need for more donors. Last year nearly 400 people died while waiting for a transplant. One in ten people waiting for a heart transplant will die and many others will lose their lives before they even get on to the waiting list.

Transplants are one of the most miraculous achievements of modern medicine. But they depend entirely on the generosity of donors and their families who are willing to make this life-saving gift to others.

The more people who pledge to donate their organs after their death, the more people stand to benefit. By choosing to join the NHS Organ Donor Register you could help make sure life goes on.

* This is my motivation for posting this topic. My cousin 40, years old next year, has been on dialysis since he was 15. His situation is now desperate.

You can now register as a donor online and print off your own card. ( https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/odronline/servlet/mydetailsservlet ) Don't do it rashly or without thinking it through and make sure your spouse/family are aware of your decision. Read through the website, ther's a lot of good advice.

Nic'

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Nicolaou: great thread.

When I applied for my new Ontario Health card, I signed the form for organ donation.

I figured, if anything should befall me, and I should die, what good is it to toss my retrievable organs into the furnace?

What a legacy, and a positive one too, to allow your organs to help someone in dire need.

Many years ago when my sister was killed, my mother allowed her corneas to be retrieved for transplant (1967). As it turns out, a man with some form of blindness, was able to see. I remember my Mom got some sort of letter of 'thanks'.

Never hurts to discuss this matter with family. I had my brother, just younger than me, sign my organ donation card should anything happen to me. I was happy he agreed.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Good topic! Also -

Discuss this issue with your family so that they understand your wishes if the worst should happen.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I am signed up.

On my driver's license, I said I want to be one. I also told my husband and told my JW mother.

Just for fun I asked my mom if she wanted to be an organ donor? She got really mad. Said Jehovah would not approve of it. I said I thought the society changed their stance? She didn't know but said she would not want to be one. Period. No more discussion. No, she won't do it. She got really emotional about it.

I told her I want blood transfusions also. That also made her mad. Oh well. Perhaps if I die, someone can be helped.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

How will I get into the afterlife if some of my organs are missing?

But seriously, I have been an organ donor ever since I got my first driver's license (about 12 years now). So far I have not made any donations though.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, discuss it with your family but also get a health care proxy or power of attorney drawn up. Also, it is possible to donate some organs without being dead, kidneys are one example and bone marrow is another.

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've been an organ donor since before I left the JWs 19 yrs ago

Used to sign the back of my driver's license "by mistake"

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Lady Lee, wasn't it only during the 1960's that organ transplants were considered wrong (cannibalism)? Way to go for fighting the machine!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Don't know about the 60's but they were pretty high up on it being cannabalism in the 70's.

I figured if God could give one person a new body then the one I had wouldn't be much use to me anyway so why not let someone else benefit

And good lord organ transplants - people aren't eating them!!!! it ain't cannabalism

• starfish422
    starfish422

Another important one is to get on the bone marrow registry in your area if you qualify. It is soooooo important!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit