I'm a lurker no more......

by Betsy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Betsy
    Betsy

Hi everyone - just wanted to introduce myself. I posted a hi over in Personal Experiences, but thought I'd elaborate here....

I was raised a jw in Delaware, Ohio. You know, I was that girl all the old ones in the cong liked because I was kind to them and pioneered. Anyway, here's the short version of my story.

I was Miss Pioneer, but started working temp at a new job in the Summer of '92. I met someone that worked for the same company, but in California. One thing led to another and I moved out to CA in early '93 to be with my new "love". All I can say is there were a lot of jaws dropping in my old cong. Boy did I shock everyone. I was driving in the car one day and thought..okay, will God really punish me if I do something "wrong"? Up to this point, I had never really had doubts or anything about what I believed - I just really wanted to be with this person. So....I moved out here. We've been married for 8 years and have a 2yr old son and a baby on the way....I guess God decided not to punish me....

Anyway, I went through a really down period when I first came out here. I missed my family and wondered if I had made the biggest mistake of my life. I even went to a few meetings and dragged my husband to the memorial every year. Around this time the internet was just getting big, so I of course did some research. After everything I had been through with the cong and my family after I left I was still shocked to find out how many missing links there are in the jw doctrine. At that point, I decided to never feel guilty about anything I had done in the past. My husband (no religion, but believes in god) really helped me see how degraded some of the "rules" of the jw's are. I was so naive.

Now I have a nice home, wonderful husband and son (and peanut on the way), a great job etc... I can't help but dwell sometimes on what my life would be like if I hadn't had the courage to pursue something I wanted. I'd probably be an elder's wife (shudder!) pioneering etc...you know the good little jw. Whew, I'm so glad that didn't happen!

I've lurked here for a long time. I decided to finally post and maybe contribute something to those who have helped me. So...that's me.

Betsy

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Welcome Betsy. Glad you could join us

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

all I can say is a big ....................

welcome

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome aboard, Betsy!

Good for you that you took the bull by the horns and did something you wanted with your life! That demonstrates that it can be done.

And about those JW rules... It's a man-made religion imposing man-made rules on individuals who believe it's all from a Creator. When you find out that it's all man-made, then comes the freedom.

Look forward to your next posts. (Sorry if that sounded like the ministry school overseer!)

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Welcome Betsy!!!!!!!! Glad to have you here!

Great to hear you got away from the org and are now living such a happy life! And congrats for the one on the way!

• Princess
    Princess

welcome Betsy! Great story, glad you are here.

Rachel

• shamus
    shamus

Welcome Betsy!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I'm impressed, Betsy! You seem to have been a lot more free of the mind-control than I was when I was pioneering.

Congrats on the peanut, and welcome to JWD!

• little witch
    little witch

WELCOME, BETSY!!!

You sound like a strong woman, and that will help you to have a happy life. I am so happy for you!

Welcome to the board, you will find lots of comfort and support here...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Welcome Betsy and peanut! Glad to hear that you've escaped and that things are going so well. There are many stories like your here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit