How Did You Become Irregular and Then Inactive As A Publisher?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you suddenly just stop reporting time? Did you do it gradually??? What reaction did you get from the elders when you missed your first month reporting time?

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

For a long time I just lied on my time and would only attend the meetings periodically. My main excuse was too much HW. When I stopped attending meetings all together I quit turning in my time. The first month they called up the house and my mom answered. She asked how much time I had and I said ZERO hours with a big smile on my face!! I don't know why she even bothered to ask. She knew that I was out of the org for good. Still in denial I guess.

The second month they came over to "encourage" me and wanted to set me up with a pioneer sister to take me out in FS on weekends. I said no I am no longer going to meetings. They started to pull out the bible and I was like ummm no please respect my decision. They tried to talk to me a few times after that but I had nothing to say. It pissed them off when I refused to answer their questions. What could they do?? NOTHING!!! I was never dunked thank goodness. These are the same hypocrite elders that dragged me into the back on so many fact finding missions and was always trying to get dirt on me.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I would turn in time (but I never really had any time) every two or three months. Our book study conductor was one of our closest friends, and he never ever said anything to us. It was up to him to talk to me or to Dave if we became irregular, but he didn't. Finally I stopped turning in time all together. Nothing was said. This is not the usual way it happens though.

• dedalus
    dedalus

I turned in false time slips for almost a year before moving away. The elders pretty much knew it, and all but asked for false slips. For example, on the eve of the CO's visit, I was cornered in the coatroom by the secretary, who informed me that I'd neglected to turn in slips for the last three month. "We need these reports," he said. I understood perfectly. "Well, put me down for two hours in February -- cold month -- three in March, and, oh, seven sounds good for April, spring and all." He jotted down the numbers and went on his way.

The Organization is the Enron of counting time.

Dedalus

• minimus
    minimus

Mulan, lucky you. Dedalus, that was very funny. Unbeliever, you are the luckiest.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i just stopped going to meetings and stopped putting in a report. no gradual drop off, just stopped dead.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I stopped going to meetings and stopped turning in time. The congregation secretary called for a couple of months and urged me to report 4 hours, since I was, of course, studying with the children. I said "yes" and then hated myself for giving in. Then I got Caller ID and quit answering the phone when he called, which was only twice more. Nothing since and it's been almost a year. Ah, sweet freedom!

Nina

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I always hated counting time. I knew that Jesus never turned in time slips, so why did we have to do it? Drove me crazy. I went door-to-door and did lots of laundrymats. When I stopped attending meetings, Mom and Dad drove me bonkers, saying I was rebellious, insult infinitum. Eventually everyone left me alone...

• rem
    rem

I had discussed my doubts about certain issues with a couple of elders and I explained that I didn't agree with counting time. I just stopped turning in reports, even though I did still go out in service a bit (just using the bible at the time - no literature). Even as an MS, no one said anything. I think they knew I had issues with things and were taking it easy on me. After a while I just stopped going out in service and to meetings all together.

The turning point was one night my then-wife and I were driving to the meeting. We were a couple of blocks away when one of us said, "why don't we just go out to dinner instead tonight?" I can't remember if it was her or me who said that, but after that it wasn't very difficult to miss meetings and service anymore.

rem

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hard for me to remember exactly how I did it. I know I never turned in more than 10 hours for each month. After I stopped going out in field service, I had an elder call me up and ask about my hours for each month. I replied zero. Soon, I had a visit from 2 elders. One of them told me if I didn't keep on doing Jehovah's work, I would be toast at armageddon. They asked me if I wish to remain an unbaptized publisher. I said no. One of the elders looked as if he was about to cry. He was tripping over his own words. This marked my beginning of freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit