does anyone like indies?

by nowisee 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Descender
    Descender

Heheh, you all act like you can't like both genres. I'm not sorry to say that I liked Terminator 3, Spiderman, and the Matrix. But that doesn't mean I don't like Indie films and documentaries as well. Do you all think it makes one less of an intellectual if they do like the mainstream Hollywood movies instead of the more realistic indie films and documentaries?

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Do you all think it makes one less of an intellectual if they do like the mainstream Hollywood movies instead of the more realistic indie films and documentaries?

Depends. Anyone who thinks mainstream Hollywood produces anything like "art" with regularity is intellectually suspect in my book.

Dedalus

• rem
    rem

Sometimes you want a steak, and sometimes you just want a hamburger.

rem

• dedalus
    dedalus

Mmmmmmmmmmm ... McD drive thru after work today!

Dedalus

• dobby
    dobby

I agree rem.

I am going to see T3 this week! The movies I want to see right now are T3, Bend it Like Beckham and 28 Days Later. After reading this post I am going to add Spellbound to the list.

Recently saw Adaptation, Tears of the Sun and Catch Me If You Can on DVD.

Watched Best in Show for the second time on Comedy Central last night - Hilarious!! (Am I seeing things or does that man..., yes it looks like he has two left feet!)

Movies ROCK!!

• rem
    rem

I loved Best In Show and the other one they did, A Mighty Wind, I think. Those fake documentaries crack me up. Some of the lines are classic!

I liked Adaptation too. Kinda quirky.

rem

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

I saw City of God a while ago. Very good film.

The last mainstream film I saw was Identity. Can't say I'm a fan of most hollywood stuff. I suppose it depends on how much i've been drinking.

Ignored One.

• nowisee
    nowisee

hi rayzor!

hi aztec!

thanks to all for answering. i will definitely be looking for mentioned indies which i have not yet seen, like "the journey" -- thanks omiecoop --, "ararat" -- thanks aztec, and all those mentioned by asortafairytale.

dpbbie -- i did see "rabbit proof fence" -- just great.

descender -- i do like hollywood films too, but i try to be selective.

now, has anyone seen "the cook, the thief, his wife and her lover"?? hubby and i saw this a few years back (with helen mirren). i found it haunting. recommended it to friends who subsequently saw it, only to conclude that i was crazy!! they listen to none of my recommendations anymore.

p.s. blondie, you are funny. undies!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit