does anyone like indies?

by nowisee 17 Replies latest jw friends

• nowisee
    nowisee

while the multiplex movie theaters are running "terminator 3" and the like, my husband and i seek out different fare. three small independent movies which we recently saw are, "winged migration", about the migratory patterns of various birds -- amazing. some species travel l2,500 miles each way from north to south poles and back again. some fly for thousands of miles without ever stopping.

also "spellbound" about the us national spelling bee. it tells the stories of several of the finalists and what they did to get where they went in terms of national standing. one young man's family (of indian descent) paid 5,000 people back in india to chant for success!

last night we saw "capturing the friedmans". true documentary of a family torn apart by accusations of pedophilia (against the father and one of the three sons). so intense. my husband and i, after having seen the actual films, are not in agreement in our opinions of what actually happened. this film is just riveting.

i would rather see one really good film like the above which actually makes me think, than any number of otherwise commercially viable movies.

• omiecoop
    omiecoop

Yes, I love independent films

Unfortunately, my schedule prevents me from seeing a lot of them in the theater

I live about 60-70 miles from Atlanta, so in order to seek out the independent film, I have to make more of an effort that just to get in the car and run down to the theater.

The latest one I saw was called the Journey, a documentary about a young college graduate seeking advice from "the successful" as to what their secrets of success were. It began as a story about the content of the interviews with the famous people who he met, but became more the story of the journey to find all these people, get the journey financed, etc. It was quite good, altho the guy did little to ingratiate himself to the audience. I mostly felt like he was an egomaniacal jerk!

I usually have to catch them on Sundance or on DVD or video. Are there any available that you can recommend???

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Nowisee: I am so with you there.

If and when I can, I like to check out the non-mainstream theatres/cinemas.

I go to a place where they show foreign films, or independent ones that are not always about t!ts and a&& . Gets real tired real fast.

There are many great repertory theatres here. Reasonable too, with good snacks and beer!!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Nowisee, I've been meaning to see "Spellbound" and "Ararat". I love independant filmaking! There's quite a few theaters here in the Detroit area that show them, I just have to find the time to go..LOL!

~Aztec

• blondie
    blondie

I have to get new glasses. I thought this said "does anyone like undies"?

• Aztec
    Aztec

Blondie, you are a woman after my own heart! Feisty but silly at the same time!

~Aztec

• shamus
    shamus

Hmm... undies...

I love indie movies. Hollywood sucks big time. I will NOT see their regurgitated vomit, like Terminator 3, Spiderman, The Matrix.... YUCK.

I always get pissed at Hollywood, at how they expect us to watch that CRAP. How dare they think that we are that stupid that we're going to go out and enjoy their fake, no-brain crap.

The worst is "Planet Hollywood". So what if stars own it, I'm not going there. Give me good pasta at a quaint little restaurant; authentic greek food, complete with plate-throwing and oozo guzzling, or east-indian cuisine. What horses**t hOlLyWoOd is.

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Some of my favorite indie movies are:
    "Ma Vie en Rose"--it's in French, with subtitles, but worth it. It is about a young boy who wants to be a girl.

"All Over Me"--This film follows an out teenaged lesbian. Interesting and realistic.

"Just, Melvin"--This one was hard to watch. It is a documentary following the family of Melvin Just, a slimeball who raped and molested every female member of his family. It focuses on the incestous relationships, violence, and depression that stemmed from the horrific abuse.

"Waking Life"--I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard wonderful things about this movie from Orbiting!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    "winged migration",

I heard this one was incredible! I wanted to check it out but forgot all about it until now. I love independent films.

• dobby
    dobby

I am a movie fiend. I like indies, we have a theater that shows indies in my town. Unfortunately I don't get there as often as I would like.

In the last year I saw Real Women Have Curves, Equilibrium, Rabbit Proof Fence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit