Who composes the JW music?

by JH 22 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Who composed the songs in the song book "Sing Praises to Jehovah", and who decides what song is suitable or not? The song book is almost 20 years old, and I wonder if they will come out with a new song book?

Although a few songs are nice, I find that most of them are dull.

• Realist
    Realist

who ever composed that shit should not be allowed to ever make music again....my ears were bleeding when i had to listen to this trash.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Who composed the songs in the song book "Sing Praises to Jehovah"

Some f****** bethelite.

who decides what song is suitable or not?

Some f****** bethelite.

• Scully
    Scully

I think some of them are *cough* rip-offs *cough* or close enough to other works to be considered *cough* rip-offs *cough*.

Remember how Mr. F did a version of "Dwelling in Unity" that sounded almost exactly like the music for the "Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show"??

Love, Scully

• Piph
    Piph

ROFL

I remember when I was a kid my mom said sarcastically that some of those songs must have been written by apostates...I suppose if you really wanted to torture JW's that could have been a fun pasttime...haha The sad thing is I think they enjoy being tortured...

I knew the brother who wrote song #15, actually.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Quite a few of the relatively rare catchy bars were composed by Schubert, Elgar and Strauss. Then they wrapped three minutes of muzak around them and congratulated themselves on creating pure and uplifting spiritual music.

Now, if Jehovah really existed, can you imagine? 80,000 congregations playing 6 Kingdumb Melodies a week, and he has to listen to them all! No wonder he's always in a crabby mood.

Expatbrit

• integ
    integ

Metallica

• Hamas
    Hamas

I like the KM

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Many of the songs are newer compositions by dubs the world over, and some (like Forward, You Witnesses) actually hold a significant place in dub history (such as it is). But there are some that hail all the way back to Russellite days, albeit in much-altered form. I used to have a songbook from the 1920's that had early versions of some of the songs in the current book. I assume these were written by Bible Students of the time. Jehovah is my Shepherd (which used to be titled, The Lord is my Shepherd) was in there, as was a song called The Sword of the Lord! And of Gideon! which somehow morphed into Preach This Good News of the Kingdom in newer songbooks.

There were even a couple of songs that appeared in older songbooks, disappeared in the songbooks of the 1950's and 1960's, but resurfaced in the 1984 book. Can't remember which ones offhand, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new songbook within the next few years. It's been nearly 20 years (the previous songbook only lasted for 18), and surely some JW's out there have composed some new songs in that time. In a century or so, the JW songbook might even rival the size (but not likely the quality) of the average church hymnal!

• rocketman
    rocketman
    Now, if Jehovah really existed, can you imagine? 80,000 congregations playing 6 Kingdumb Melodies a week, and he has to listen to them all! No wonder he's always in a crabby mood.

LOL!! Good one expa! And now, it's up around 100,00 congregations, which means the Sovereign Lord is 25% crabbier these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit