What do you do for a living ??? Would the elders make you quit your job ???

by run dont walk 21 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

This one IS my biggest pet peeves.

Growing up in the borg, I had a hard time finding any job, let alone a decent paying one.

I had to quit many jobs because my parents said "I was missing out to many meetings and field service."

But how come the elders who worked at Ford, Chysler, GM, or any big factories, that worked shift work, and missed meetings every three weeks consistently for decades, and that was okay. The response I would get was, "well they have a family to raise and look after." So does that mean have kids and you can work when you want.

Well, finally when I turned 19 I had had enough.

I got a job as a bartender (thanks to my uncle who was not a JW), making ridiculous money, in a club, as much as $100 - $200 a night plus wages.

I remember like it was yesterday, my parents saying "this job is not appropiate and your mising meetings again", I pulled out my wallet and threw the money at them and looked my dad straight in the face and said, "it sucks when your kid makes more money then you doesn't it."

I REALLY BELIEVE many parents in the borg do not want their kids to be overly succesful or more so want their kids to rely on them. (i have seen this many times). I think many parents get a kick out of having their kids have to rely on them so they can tell them what do their whole life from 16-50.

I saw many families where the dad and mom NEVER pioneered their entire life but both worked full time and more or less forced their kids to pioneer. What is that.

So, 17 years later I'm still Managing a Bar and doing okay in life, I am as middle class as you can get, when the average households of income are released each year our family income beats the average by a little.

I wonder if I went back to JW land what they would say .......

I work 5 nights a week (Wed-Sun) 5-2 AM and 11-7 PM on Sundays, I would miss every thurs and Sun meetings and field service would be tough, how long before they said "your job is interfering with your spiritual growth."

Like does the borg realisticly expect everyone to find a 9-5 job ??? they just don't exist anymore, or they do but at crappy pay.

So what do you do for a living, if you went back would the borg say your job is interfering with meetings ???

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

yeah im a whore............ ill do anything for money lol hahahahahaha jk. but seriously i have friends in the security business and there always offering me jobs but it requres things that never floated ......... carrying firearms, working nights, kicking peoples asses if they interfear with the job so i never took one. i did see my grandfather turn into a bigger asshole once he had the power of being a cop so im kinda worried that if i was to take a job like that it would have a simular effect tho thank god im nothing like my grandfather. anyways lol thats all folks

• freedom96
    freedom96

Part of what I do includes teaching worldly people how to create income. That might include a degree of "materialism" as far as the witnesses believe, and I sure do spend a lot of time with these people, so that is a lot of worldly association. Plus, I would have to miss a lot of meetings.

If I were still a witness, my business would be frowned upon, without question.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

The elder's made my friend quit his job at a dry cleaners. Not because of the job, because of the owners. He was newly baptised and very weak in the truth. They were non-Christians and thanks to me, knew all of the right questions to ask him. He also had a strong liking for the owners daughter who was as worldly as you can get.

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Since I am a Director of Emergency Services for the Salvation Army you can bet your bippy they would make me quit. Never happen!!! The Salvation Army not only talks the talk but walks the walk.

Leslie

• Francois
    Francois

I would have enjoyed the elders attempting to make me do, or not do, anything - job, education, partner, you name it. I would have had more fun with them than a barrel of monkeys.

• Deli King
    Deli King

YES!!! The elders have the power to make JW quit their job. I know of a case where a woman studied, got baptized and shortly thereafter the elders told her that she would have to quit here job because she was a LAB TECH and her having to handle blood as part of her duties would be going against Bible principles. This woman was a lab tech for many years and was respected by her other workmates. Well sadly, because of one elder in particular, who lead the crusade, she quit her job, lost all her benefits, lost her home because the followed the elders directive. Do you think she is still a JW?

YES/NO----What do think?

• integ
    integ

I AM A ROCK STAR...

INTEG.

• berten
    berten

I am in this seemingly unique situation where I run a familybusiness with four JW-brothers.

I wonder what would happen if I got DF'd for any reason...

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I'm just an automobile technician but I've busted my ass for a long time and now am well above the national average income for other tech's.

Elders can make as much money as they want, and then turn around and preach to the congregation about not being materialistic and how you should only earn just enough to survive on. If the elders who df'd me knew what I earn now, which is I garantee you more than they make, they'd tell me to find something else right quick!

Unless of course I was dropping wads of cash into the contribution box.

Well, we all know how it works.

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit