Furuli's New Books--Attempt to Refute COJonsson

by ros 264 Replies latest jw friends

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I found the old Furuli faux-pas. I know that most "scholars" who need to gain credibility in the Web environment have made mistakes, and I don't mean to pick on Furuli. But since his qualifications as a "scholar" appear to have been pitted against COJ's I thought it was appropriate. Also, for those who never got into the arguments that occurred on B-Greek, excuses like the following might have been accepted by some at face value. (There was an even funnier argument of his that seemed to boil down to..."Maybe we could agree that the NT writer was using a new verb tense that no scholar had ever identified before." But it would take longer to explain what I mean.)

I'll let the quote stand on its own, but for anyone interested in going back to the original arguments, it should be obvious that the differences were not the result of an "unfinished draft" that intentionally stated the opposite of what he intended. It's a fairly minor infraction as B-Greek arguments go, but it is mindful of a kind of "defensive" CYA scholarship typical of the Watchtower. (The WTS actually DID once invent a new Greek verb tense in their discussions of Trinity, by the way.)

The original post is at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/archives/97-03/1013.html

Then a correction to that same post is at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/archives/97-03/1065.html

[highlight/bold mine]

A CORRECTION

Reading my previous posting in this thread I discovered that
    I had copied and sent an unfinished draft which stated the
    opposite of what was intended
    (I sometimes write two
    onesided drafts and afterwards weave them together).
    I did
    not intend to suggest that all Greek perfects are
    imperfective, which of course is impossible; but that
    some/many are. Below is the correct text. Please discard my
    previous posting!

Gamaliel

• amac
    amac

I like rock music!!!!!

Oh crap! I thought this was the thread on music...sorry!

• scholar
    scholar

Hello ros

Thanks for your questions: You ask about Wiseman's qualifications? Firstly, this can be readily seen in his publications. Has he written any scriptural commentary either in a book or in a journal article? His reputation as a reputable scholar is based in his field of expertise namely Ancient History and Assyriology only. He would have paid Jonsson the ultimate compliment by publishing a Literature Review of his book seeinh that Jonsson lacks credentials.

The website by David Petrie is utter nonsense and so his the quote from his site on 2 Chron abaseless interpretation. This is a hood example of circular reasoning which follows Jonsson's example. If you read the GTR, 1998, 3rd edn, pp.220, 223, 224 whereupon without evidence of any kind he postulates that the 'royalty of the kings of Persia began to reign was in 539, I fact, this phrase can only the decree issued in the first year of Cyrus. I have already referred to a recent publication on the history of the period and scholars support this view, Please refer to the subject on the seventy years in the Bible Research section

I suspect Deavid Petrie is an Adventist and I will try to make contact.

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• jws
    jws

I don't particularly care for the assumption that somebody has to have a certain set of credentials to be able to do research and/or make a valid point. An amatuer can know more than somebody with a PHD and a PHD can make mistakes.

Much of the knowledge that has been handed down to us and accepted as truth came from people who were either amatuers or their training would be considered basic compared to what is taught in today's schools. Did the Wright brothers have a degree in airplane design to design and fly their plane? I've seen people who've never taken college courses learn an amazing amount by studying books on the subject. After all, that's mostly what college is. Reading and absorbing what is in textbooks. The advantage of the amatuer is that he is often studying for a love of the subject and will retain more. Many students read and remember only long enough to pass the test. The only difference between the two may be that one was tested and the other wasn't.

As a programmer, I've had people with PHDs working for me who made the most basic errors constantly and, it seems, could not think through a problem to code a working solution. Even in high school, my programming teachers (with degrees) learned some new things from me (the unacredited high school student).

When information is out there to collect and bring together, COJ's lack of scholarly credentials does not mean he is incapable of learning about the subject, collecting facts on his own, or drawing conclusions about them.

• Earnest
    Earnest

jws:

I don't particularly care for the assumption that somebody has to have a certain set of credentials to be able to do research and/or make a valid point.

I completely agree with you and consider the emphasis "scholar" gives to the need for academic credentials is simply a reflection of his own sense of achievement in obtaining an MA. There are many examples of people "unlettered and ordinary" excelling in academic fields. I consider the New World Translation one of the better translations for Bible students (and I expect "scholar" would agree) but the evidence we have indicates those involved in the translation were not PhD's, but made use of existing scholarship. Which is what Carl Jonsson has done.

scholar:

You ask about Wiseman's qualifications? Firstly, this can be readily seen in his publications. Has he written any scriptural commentary either in a book or in a journal article? His reputation as a reputable scholar is based in his field of expertise namely Ancient History and Assyriology only.

When you expressed interest in the endorsement that Dr. Wiseman had given, you wanted to know "how he could endorse a hypothesis written by someone who has not attained scholarly qualifications". When Dr. Wiseman states the obvious, namely that you do not need 'a qualified Assyriologist' to quote texts that have already been published and interpreted, you then point out he does not have "competence" in biblical exegesis. Really? Did you know he was an editor of the New Bible Dictionary, The New Bible Atlas, the Tyndale Old Testament Commentary Series, and an editor of the NIV and the NIV Thematic Reference Bible. He was also chairman at the Tyndale House for Biblical Research, Cambridge.

I wish to make the following request...I have long pursued the query as to whether any scholar has subjected Jonsson's book to a peer review in some internationally recognized journal...why don't you ask somebody to publsh a review in a major journal.

The conference I am attending is on Assyriology and Near Eastern Archaeology and there is nothing new in Carl Jonsson's book which would require a review. Frankly, the Assyriologists I have spoken to at Cambridge University are simply incredulous that anyone would support 607 for the destruction of Jerusalem and see no need for a book to disprove it. It seems [to them] like writing a book to disprove the moon is made of cheese. Believe me, I have no pleasure telling you this. I would much rather 607 and everything that hangs on it were true. But it is not and haggling about whether the 70 years were years of desolation or not is, imo, simply a smokescreen to avoid coming to terms with this basic fact.

Earnest

• scholar
    scholar

Earnest

My comments about Wiseman's ability in regard to his skill as a exegete stands. I am quite aware that a scholar of Wiseman's stature would because of his scholarshipt receive invitations to participate in many projects as you have pointed out. But all of this does not make him an expert in every field of scholarship does it?

This conference you have attended is a bit of a worry if in fact these scholars trivialize the date 607 which really differs from the Devil's dates of 587/586 by a mere 20 years. What ,do they have some absolute chronology at hand because if they reallly are chronologists they should be more circumspect. What is turning this whole issue on its head is the matter of historiography for the late Judean period and this is now a subject of keen interest to scholars. This is another weak link in the Jonsson hypothesis name the lack of historiography in his discussion of the seventy years apart from a biased interpretation of the seventy years based on Jeremiah 29:10.

Really, I think someone is pulling your chain.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

As far as I am concerned, put carl o. asside, the question that is still begged is then how come the jw's are the only ones in the world who date the destruction of the temple of jer. to 607 and all other studies by religous or non date the destruction to 586-7. this is what started carl looking in to the problem in the first place.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Alan,

Looking forward to your response.

IW

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally
    Hi Alan,

Looking forward to your response.

IW

Yeah me too! Alan Come on! Don't dissapoint us.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

I realize it's probably not appropriate to give you too much attention in this thread, nor for me to interrupt when questions were addressed to Earnest. But I must say that you've really surprised me with your last response. I thought you would at least try to give the appearance of someone truly interested in the subject and might even offer something of interest to the discussion.

I am just appalled at your inability or unwillingness to apply logic and correct methods of argument. I would expect as much from the average dittohead JW, but you present yourself as more educated than the average JW. I honestly can't tell if you are purposely deceitful or if it's a lack of education; I can't imagine any other excuse. Still, I'm glad you're posting because your style will clearly help other JWs learn the truth about the weakness of 607.

My comments about Wiseman's ability in regard to his skill as a exegete stands.
    No, they don't. Those comments were crushed and pulverized. I don't think anyone missed that fact, not even you yourself. Besides, this argument was already a diversion from the main point.
    I am quite aware that a scholar of Wiseman's stature would because of his scholarshipt receive invitations to participate in many projects as you have pointed out.
    Where have we seen that type of fallacious argument before? With some clever rewording you think to twist those positions Earnest says Dr. Wiseman held into mere "invitations to participate in many projects"? Amazing! Appalling!
    But all of this does not make him an expert in every field of scholarship does it?

Wasn't aware that anyone claimed him to be an "expert in every field of scholarship"! Such a clever diversion. I doubt anyone will see through it.

This conference you have attended is a bit of a worry if in fact these scholars trivialize the date 607 which really differs from the Devil's dates of 587/586 by a mere 20 years.
    This is up there with the most ironic statements I've ever read around here. If you are being fair then, of course, you might do well to consider the reverse: since 587/6 is only a mere 20 years away from "God's dates" (as the WTS once referred to them before most were changed) then you wouldn't want to trivialize the possibility that 587/6 is correct. Instead, of course, we see you go much further than just trivializing 587/6, but actually demonizing them. That's pure scholarship, like we've never seen! No wonder you never offer any specific ideas against 587/6.
    What ,do they have some absolute chronology at hand because if they reallly are chronologists they should be more circumspect. What is turning this whole issue on its head is the matter of historiography for the late Judean period and this is now a subject of keen interest to scholars. This is another weak link in the Jonsson hypothesis name the lack of historiography in his discussion of the seventy years apart from a biased interpretation of the seventy years based on Jeremiah 29:10.
    If the "70 years" were really the issue, you could just as well fight for Cyrus' decree in the 519-516 range rather than 539-536. Cyrus' dates are just as well (or poorly) attested as Babylonian dates, but you wouldn't think of toying with the Cyrus' dates (for obvious reasons related to 1914). So who is it that pretends to have some "absolute chronology at hand" and shows such a lack of circumspection? Who is it that pretends that the issue is somehow tied up with an imagined "Jonsson hypothesis?" Yet you want to have it both ways and gleefully revel in the fact that most scholarly works won't even mention this "Jonsson" you are so obsessed with. Well, that's the point exactly -- the WTS was wrong long before Jonsson ever pointed it out. All the other experts were already pointing it out unwittingly.

Really, I think someone is pulling your chain.

You would obviously accept any date the WTS claimed for the Nebuchadnezzar's 19th year (fall of Jerusalem) as long as it was 2520 years prior to 1914, and you obviously wouldn't care what the evidence actually shows. Dismissing the majority evidence as the "Devil's dates" is most telling with respect to whether a religious organization is pulling your strings or whether you have any interest in history or scholarship. So who is pulling whose chains and who are the marionettes?

Hmmm. I like your signature. In all probability I think it will ultimately help more thinking JWs be set free from those chains. Ironically, you represent yourself as "scholarly" but have done an excellent job showing exactly how much JW scholarship is worth. Heartfelt Thanks, Gamaliel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit