Are you patriotic?

by kitties_and_horses_oh_my! 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• berylblue
    berylblue

Not patriotic at all. Never really have been. Do like living here although, since I have never lived elsewhere, I can't honestly say I wouldn't prefer to live any where else.

• berylblue
    berylblue

And welcome, Kittie.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

American patriotism is founded on a mistrust and distaste for government.

The American people SHOULD be rebellious and argue with their leaders and protest and shout and refuse to be drafted and evade taxes they didn't vote for. That's what we are, that's what our soldiers fight for. We are a society of equals (or should be), not of serfs.

I'm most certainly a patriotic fellow, even dipping into nationalism, but sometimes I pull up short when something annoys me and then I shout like a hippie!

I think that Comedy Central should bring back That's My Bush - just to let the President know that we refuse to take him too seriously.

I like Bush's foreign policy, and if Gore was president he probably couldn't do anything right in my eyes, but I'm fair enough to admit that.

VOTE AGAINST BANKRUPTCY REFORM!

CZAR

• maxwell
    maxwell

I've been out a little more than a year, and I do feel somewhat patriotic. The US is a great country and it has accomplished many good things. I started working for the federal government before I left, but now I'd like to think that I'm doing a little bit to help my country in my job.

However, I do think that patriotism is taken overboard often. And I'll allow that some of my JW thinking may be still influencing me but I think not. Many people do take it to a worshipful or fanatic level. And sometimes people try to invoke patriotism for actions that have nothing to do with patriotism. For example, you'll spend your money on these items, or you're not patriotic. You will agree with the president or you're not patriotic. You will recite these word or you're not patriotic. I think patriotism requires that you have some pride in your country and a willingness to help it become better in someway. It doesn't require everyone to feel the same way about everything. Further, in this country, at least for those born here, citizenship doesn't even require patriotism.

But I do feel a proud feeling when I hear our National Anthem or other national patriotic songs. Actually I did before I left. I always suppressed the feeling. But now I don't have too. I like seeing demonstrations or protests. I may or may not agree with them, but I'm proud to live in a country where one is free to express themselves. I feel proud when I see the monuments to the people who had a part in making this country what it is today. I am not an all or nothing person and I do not agree with the sentiment "my country, right or wrong". But I do think I can say, Yes, I am proud of my country.

• Xena
    Xena

To a degree..I still don't feel comfortable reciting the pledge..don't know if I ever will. I do stand and show respect though, because I DO respect what it stands for. I doubt I will ever be a dyed in the wool patriot (regardless of what some Brits might think ) .

I find it amusing at times how some people will rail about politics and how we should be involved and up to date on all the issues past, present and future. They seem to forget all the years we were taught not to take an interest in politics at all...lol baby steps people baby steps...

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

This is one touchy topic...and I'm SO glad all who celebrated the 4th realize that's all it was - a celebration to a country that 'allows' us our freedoms. For my family it was always a great oppertunity to get together and catch up on life.

I've always hated the extreme nationalism many people bring to the table - and yet I served in the Army for 5 years and currently serve while working for the Army as a civilian...oh by the way my husband is a US Marine. Our soldiers and police here in the States serve to protect the freedoms we take for granted. They defend the protesters right to protest AND many don't agree.

What hurts as a soldier is thinking & knowing they are not being supported. Face it, the military is the strong arm of the United States and even though soldiers may or may not agree with the politics - they have to do their job. It was their decission to join regardless of the reasoning behind it. IE: I went in because the Army paid off my student loans - did I know I was going to be sent to Haiti, Saudi, or Kuwait? Nope. All I knew was I felt like crap watching TV seeing the protesters and wondered how many there were willing to send their child to fight / or were willing to do it themselves. Basically it's difficult to support the troops without supporting the President espically since he's their Commander in Chief.

Do I think it was 'right' to go to war. Nope, but as stated before, Iraq had years to disarm. Apparently it was up to 'us' to hold them to their own promise. Maybe it's the Texan in me, but I really don't have much patience and agree the president was right. NOW if you want to look at politics - check out Rumsfield and he shakin' he's been doing during his tenure.........

Gota run

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I really hadn't thought much about whether I "am patriotic," even though I have tried to fulfill civic duties like voting since leaving the JW's.

But yesterday, at church, when the congregation was singing America the Beautiful, I had some trouble getting some of the lyrics out, because my throat had constricted a bit and my eyes had gotten just a little watery. Does that mean anything?

• KGB
    KGB

I support my country but I will not support those who pillage, rape, cheat, lie and steal. I don't support the bigot the molestor or the chauvinistic person or the boaster. No matter where I was born or where I lived I support my country, but may not support the one who leads it. That is why we vote. Now I went to church last Sunday, the church was all decked out in fashion form for the holiday. They had a color guard with the US flag and a Christian flag. We all were to stand and pledge alligence to the flag but I felt that I wasworshipping a false idol and that that did not belong in the church. I respect my flag as I fought for the flag (I'm a Vet) but it felt kind of wierd to to that in the church. Was I wrong for that ? Was that a little part of the Borg still weighing on my conscience? I'm at a loss.....

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Having the American Flag in Church is always a bit bothersome. Can someone be patriotic and yet religious? I go to an Army chapel on Sundays and understand why by regulation we have Old Glory. The two just don't seem to fit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit