Who'da thunk it? I mean...really

by arrowstar 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

There are days in our lives that make you think maybe we're not in this alone. A higher power....or just sheer, blind luck? Don't know...don't care...but if I had any sense I would be buying a lottery ticket.

Now that y'all are thinking..."what is that crazy redhead up to now?"...let me tell you.

I don't know how many of you know but I'll be moving at the end of the month. Moving in August in Texas...can you say INSANE?? This move is because the complex I'm currently living in raised my rent beyond my budget. So began the desperate search for a place to live. Should I go on the month-to-month plan for rent? No, that's even more expensive. Do I put in my 30 day notice without already having a place to go? What to do ...what to do? Worry...fret...worry. Normally, I'm a pretty rational woman able to handle most things. But, I just played this scene in January and now I've got to do it all over again. All around me my friends are saying "Lisa...it's going to be alright." or "Now, hon...we'll take care of this." In my head, I understand this and know that everything will be just fine. However...as each day passes and nothing is turning up...here come the panic demons.

Money is very tight and the expense of this move is my biggest concern. Nothing extra can be included in the budget this month. Nothing.

Earlier this week, I found a place that will work just great. Cheaper rent (savings of 66 cents)...safe area....200 sq ft more space. Sounds great, doesn't it? Oh but wait...there's the application fee. Don't forget the deposit. Doing the math with the deposit...could be no groceries for 2 weeks. (worry ....fret) I take the complete application to the new place and write the two checks. My hand is shaking as I'm writing the deposit check. It's at that moment the leasing agent says, "just post date the check because we don't cash it till you move in" I look up and say "Promise?" Later that afternoon, I get a call from the leasing agent. She can read my social security number and she needs it to run the credit check. (worry...fret...credit check? I'm doomed) I give her the number and hope for the best. On the drive home, once again the leasing agent calls. This time "I've run your application and your credit is good...great. We're just waiting on a couple things from your current complex and your place of employment. Should know Monday." My credit?? good?? The woman is insane but who am I to tell her that at a moment like this.

Today, I took my son to the new complex to show him where we would be living. Since it's a holiday the office was closed. We head back toward home with a stop at the grocery store scheduled. I've noticed that my steering wheel had begun to shake for a while now. Just another thing that will have to wait because the budget is bare. It's a fairly long drive from the new place so my son has begun to drift off in the back seat as we travel down the interstate. Now, I'm hearing this noise. Very steady. dat dat dat dat ...over and over. Road noise? I turn the radio down...and it's still there. I slow down and it slows down. I'm looking to the right toward the sound just when ..BAM!! I see pieces of rubber flying away. Mind you, with the holiday, traffic is very light. I pull off the road...tell my son to stay put...and start to get out of the car. In my head I can hear every word my Daddy ever said about what to do should you have a blow out...all the steps necessary to change a tire...and so on. As I get out of the car, I happen to look up and a van has pulled over and is now backing up to get closer. Out of nowhere here is someone to help. Bless his heart. He changes the tire to the "donut" they call a spare these days. He tells me ..."don't drive over 50MPH...don't drive too far....drive straight to Sam's ...got a membership?...drive straight to Sam's since they're open and get a new tire." And with that...he left. Just as quickly as he was there...he was gone.

Off we go to Sam's. During the drive, I get on the cell phone to let people know what's happened. It's a holiday ...nobody's home. Finally, I reach someone and they tell me.."get the tire. I'll bring you some money over tomorrow. It's going to be alright." At Sam's, the gentleman behind the register asks "is that you? the green car?" So, he goes out to inspect the car and determine the correct size tire needed. Back he comes and begins his search on the computer for the tire I need.

"I've got a Michelin that will do. They come as standard equipment on a Honda Accord."

"how much?"

"$116.78"

"I'm sorry...how much? Do you have anything...cheaper that will work?"

"I've got a Goodyear for $58 but it won't match the others. You'll always have an oddball when you go for new tires."

"We're not talkin' shoes here...I'll take it"

It's at this point he scans my Sam's card. "Seems you qualify for a pre-approved Sam's credit card with a $300 limit. Would you like to accept the offer?" After recovering from the shock, I ask him to say that again. He does. I tell him with tears about to fall..."You bet!" His next question, "Do you want to put this on the card?" "You better believe it"

I leave Sam's with a new tire and a new credit card.

It's all going to be alright.

Who'da thunk it?

Arrowstar

• Prisca
    Prisca

As a fellow female driver, and also one who is living on a budget, I hear you girl.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Let me tell you Arrow, I've been there, with the hard times as to cash, and a break is always much appreciated. I'm glad it worked out for you.

ash

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Prisca & ashitaka -

Oh the joys of living on a budget, eh? But ya gotta admit...we do it with style and grace.

Arrowstar

• Maverick
    Maverick

Hang in there star, but watch the C-cards, they aren't free money, they are fee money. Do you qualify for any aid? I don't mean this as a slight by any means, but if you qualify you should accept it. That is why it is there. Keep us posted. Maverick

• berylblue
    berylblue
    It's all going to be alright.

Yes,. it will.

Good luck on your move.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Maverick - How well I know about the dangers of credit cards. The convenience...the high interest rate. It's like paying double for something. I don't qualify for aid. It's just a bit of a squeeze right now. I'll be fine. Thank you...((Maverick))

berylblue - Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it.

Arrowstar

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Wow and you are breathing easy now.

Hello Arrowstar~~~~~~~~

I appreciated your experience with the car. Sounds like you made it through today.

Sometimes they are blesings in disguised. Its the peace of mind. Even if you got to pay extra.

Yeah for 20 some years I recycled older cars. For the most part they were like Lexus to me. Can share car stories~~~~~~~~~~~.

take care ~~ all the best, OCW

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

OCW -

Yes, I am breathing a bit easier. Just knowing that the car is taken care of and safe to drive again is a great relief. It's like you said, a blessing in disguise.

Thank you....

Arrowstar

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((((arrow)))))))

I've come to the point when several things go wrong at a time, I stop. I stop and listen. Call it God or Nature, I look at those times as "someone's" way of telling me to slow down and go with the flow. When I follow that voice that tells me to slow down, I'm always surprised with a bigger blessing right around the corner. It's happened several times in my life and yet, I'm surprised when the blessing follows. I'm always the type to wait for the other shoe to drop. I'm trying to get away from that the older I get. Waiting for the other shoe to drop takes up a lot of energy!

I'm glad things have worked out for you! Can't wait to meet you someday!

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit