Really hurt my feelings hope you were kidding

by freein89 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Hamas
    Hamas

American culture is fine by me, as long as it remains in America.

America has a lot of dirty laundry hanging on our lines.

Thinking about it, many years down the line, if ever for instance CHINA becomes the next world superpower, we will be grateful for everything American... we will want it back.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

PSSSTTT....freein89....Hamas, he is one of *those*. But we still like him.

BTW, KGB, welcome back. Long time no see!

• freein89
    freein89

ahhh the English,

When I was in London, I was traveling alone-I went into a pub for a pint of Guinnes Yummy, I guy at the bar turned and looked at me and I smiled. He was at my side in a flash. He asked to buy me a drink. I said sure I'll have a coke. My safety alarms were going off, don't let strange men in strange lands buy you a drink. anyway when I said a coke he looked all hurt - no booze means no hanky panky. He said, but you smiled at me. I said well I'm friendly. After a few moments he said well you can tell me to bugger off if you want. I think in American speak that means buzz off. He was sweet, and I did not tell him to bugger off. but he didn't get any.

Deb

• Englishman
    Englishman

Freein 89,

If there's one thing worse than a snob it's an English snob, and there's only one thing worse than an English snob.

It's a Scottish snob!

Englishman, slightly aloof at times but definitely not a snob.

• freein89
    freein89

Hey Englishman,

when I was 40, I went to college-cuz I could-and I took a semester abroad. Imagine that I was 43 when I went, by myself and my research project was about preserving built heritage. I focused on Scotland and interviewed folks from the National Trust and Historic Scotland anyhow, while I was there I met an English woman and she said she had been treated badly by clerks in a store there, she said they hated her because she was English. I have done a lot of research on the history of the UK and understand there has been much animosity in the past, similar to the North/South thing in the US. But I wondered if the woman was being paranoid. Is the animosity still there.

Deb

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

My wife and I did a touring trip a month or so ago. We went over the border and into Canada, to a little city called Creston? I think that was the name.

We walked the business district, as it is an old city and we like to see the old buildings.

We went into a gift shop, because the wife wanted a souvenir. The help in there obviously ignored us.The cashier, when I asked the exchange rate on money was very snobish. I thought I had run into a bunch of jw's and they all knew I was df'd. She would not look at me and only answered what I asked and in an irritated manner. Not a good way to encourage a person to purchase.

The people on the street were a mix of unfriendly attitudes and friendly.

The lady in the coffee shop was very friendly and we talked a lot about the area and its beautiful forests and rivers. We also talked about the medical programs in Canada and the US and the tax programs and there was no hostility on her part.

I go out of my way to be open and courteous to people of another country if I am in their country or if they are in mine.

Some of those Canadians ought to do the same. Its good for business and since we are stuck with each other, we need to get along.

If I were to spend my money in another country or live in another it would be Canada. British Columbia Is gorgeous and the weather is not bad.

Outoftheorg

• cowhand
    cowhand

Hi freein89

Your English friend was probably right to be upset.

There is what passes for a "school of thought" in my old country which holds that to have been born in England is careless and perhaps immoral. My (English) wife has been a victim from time to time.

I suppose it's all to do with our mutual history, but as far as I'm concerned if we can see them off at rugby once in ten years it'll do.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hey KGB

xjw_b12 of the "my skin has thickened here" class

• berylblue
    berylblue
    There is what passes for a "school of thought" in my old country which holds that to have been born in England is careless and perhaps immoral.

LOL Sounds like something Oscar Wilde would have said.

• Realist
    Realist

freein89,

most threads were focused on the war. and sometimes americans view it as necessary to portray their country as the best on this planet. in such a case a few correcting comments are required

in general almost all posters will agree however that the US is a great country with great people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit