1975..Let's Keep It Alive!

by Englishman 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

1975. The end of 6000 years of man's existence, and logically, therefore, the start of the 1000 year reign, which meant that armageddon had to be done and dusted before that.

I remember it well! The hype at assemblies, my Dad giving up his job and selling his home to move where the "need was great", now minimised by Mother with her "Oh so you're another seventy-fiver are you" comments.

Now it's just something that occasionally embarrasses JW's, some of them deny it ever happened, others think that it was all too long ago to be relevent.

Maybe we need to put 1975 into a slot where we can all relate to it. Maybe those of us who remember that year could chip in as well.

So, what did happen in 1975? Well.....

This was scaring cinema-goers witless :

alt

Also: Civil war begins in Lebanon.

North Vietnamese take Saigon ending Vietnam war.

Soyuz-Apollo test flight (US and Soviet spaceships dock).

Billie Jean King wins Wimbledon.

Death of Spanish dictator, Franco

Edward Heath UK Prime Minister takes the UK into the Common market

Paul Simon charts with "50 ways to leave your lover"

..to name but a few events of 1975.

It wasn't that long ago, was it?

Englishman.

• JH
    JH

In 1975, I was 15 years old. I wasn't a dub at that time. God would have killed me for no reason if Armageddon would have been in 1975.

In a way, a good thing it didn't happen. Only those serving God the watchtower were deceived in 1975...

• Been there
    Been there

Ahhhhhhhhhh! 1975.

I celebrated my 1st year wedding anniversary.

Faded from going to meetings.

Got pregnant with my daughter.

Waited for the world to end and me to die.

• Hamas
    Hamas

British Tennis Saviour , 'Timid' Tim Henman , was born.

haha ! Maybe all those acting like hyperactive children will now shut up. Henman is crap.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Lost my innocence

Believed I was never going to be able to buy my first car, because "Armageddon was just minutes away" ( Ontario C.O.Veenstra )

Saw the movie JAWS, and was scared s**tless to go into any lake

My science teacher reviews an newspaper article with the class about "Personal Computers" Apparently some guy named Bill Gates was involved

AND..................Armageddon never comes !

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Leading up to '75 I remember being a fifth grader and going out in service at night to try and save one more person before The End hit soon. Wow, the utter fear and paranoia. My mom said, "Don't worry about college. You're never going to finish high school." When you're a 5th grader, you believe your mother.

Years and years later, after 1975 has passed from my memory and I was still a JW, I was studying with a Baptist man and he happily refreshed my memory by showing me quotes from 1975 and many other End Time dates the JWs advertized. It brought back all the memories of those paranoid whacko times and began my slow exit from the Watchtower.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Paul Simon charts with "50 ways to leave your lover"

You're kidding me, Lee. What a totally lame tune, June. Just change the station, jason. Don't be slow, Joe. LOL

• smack
    smack

There were so many idiots, so few comets. We'd just returned from serving where the need was greater. 4 wasted years

Steve

• Far North
    Far North

We also moved to where the need was great in the early seventies. Our family relocated three months before I was to graduate from High School. I finished up at a school that had kindergarten thru 12th grade all in one building. It didn't matter too much because we were not allowed to go to our graduation ceremony.

Pioneered for two years most of the time by myself. How I ever did 100 hours a month I don't know. Hated pioneering with a passion, probably the 2 worst years of my life riding around out in the boonies by myself everyday.

Later moved again by myself too were help was needed and then went to Bethel in 1974. In October 1975 one day Shroedder announces, "Today is the last day we can pinpoint thru Bible prophecy. Let's go back to work".

We all laughed, shrugged our shoulders and went back to work.

What is it about our loyalty to the organization that lets us be jerked around and we still 'go back to work' for them.

I now just stay on the fringes for the sake of the family.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I wasn't around in 1975, but that was the year the Blue Oyster Cult album "On Your Feet or On Your Knees" was released. Total kick-ass album!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit