How to start a Website?

by DATA-DOG 12 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Does anyone know the best way to start a website? Is Wordpress good? There’s going to be lots of things being sold on this site. I know almost zero....

DD 😅

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Wordpress is great. At the start of the ARC I archived (no pun intended) my JW LEAKS web site and left it as it was at the time on Wordpress. Still there, for posterity.

https://jwleaks.wordpress.com

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I've built sites but not e-commerce sites. Wordpress is great and my builder of choice, but honestly if you know little to nothing I think you'd do better starting off somewhere like Squarespace. They have everything in one package with customer support. Wordpress has so many ways to customize it, but it's like piecing together a bunch of cobbled together things to try to make things work and you're more on your own (though there are lots of video tutorials and sites out there to help).

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Oh, something else to consider depending on what you're selling is how are you going to get traffic to the site? If you aren't well versed in SEO or paid ads online or you don't have some sort of offline marketing strategy to drive traffic then you might build a website for nothing. Again, depending on what you're talking about here, it might behoove you to forego a website and build a following on an existing platform like eBay, Amazon, etsy, etc. Or if you wanted to do something like t-shirts there are sites where you can design online and sell through them without having to touch anything.

• Perry
    Perry

Try WIX is my advice.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Wordpress started as a blogging platform and has grown into a content management system, where you can add features as/if your site grows. The basics of WP can be developed by yourself, and it's free, but it's a learning curve if you don't have knowledge of the basics.

WIX is a company that helps you create simple websites (and more complex ones for a fee), and it's reliable. Look for what do you want to have in your site. Do you want a forum, galleries, are you going to be selling something? The responsible answer is always "depends", because it depends on what you want to do with your website.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Depends on the primary purpose of the site. If you want to set up an ecommerce store, platforms like Shopify are good, or Magento if you are looking at significant volumes.

• Brian J
    Brian J

I concur w/Perry = Wix

• Simon
    Simon

Depends what you want it for (blogging? ecommerce? bit of both?). If you can, I'd start with using a ready-made service at least until you know more about what you want and also whether you are going to keep it up.

Wordpress is OK but IMO it's expensive for what it is because it's overly complex - you can get cheap or even free hosting but you often end up with a slow site and security issues are rife for anything built on PHP and a database.

There are alternatives like "Ghost" but they are sadly often just as complex and expensive although the UI is simpler and the editor is nicer.

Another alternative is to use a static site generator. Jekyll and Hugo are options for that (use Hugo - it's less to install). These let you generate a completely static site which you can publish to anywhere - free or cheap hosting, Amazon WebServices or wherever.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

You can do ecommerce using wordpress you just need to install a few plugins and get the right theme set up. If you want an all in one solution then I would use Shopify. Another option you could try is setting up a store on Facebook, it's free and all you need is a PayPal account.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit