I need help pleez!!!!!!

by foxy lady 16 Replies latest jw friends

• foxy lady
    foxy lady

Hi

I have not been to a meeting for 3 years. I wrote to the cong and asked them to provide a copy of all info that they have on me. They have to do this under the uk data protection act. They have written back and said that they will supply the data but only if I pay a £10 fee. This is not a lot but it is the principle of the thing! I have looked at the data act http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/19980029.htm and they are using section 7 to "prove" their stance. I also looked at the register of data controllers at http://www.dpr.gov.uk/ and could not find the JWs listed anywhere so I wonder if they have an exemption as they are a "charity" (joke that is)!!!

Any ideas as I do not want to give them a thing (except trouble). They have had 27 years of my life.....they are not having anything else!

John aka uncle onion but I forgot my pass word and so am using my missus handle!!!!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Welcome, uncle onion and foxy lady!!! Wish I knew more about UK law, but I'm sure someone will come forward shortly. I look forward to reading more from you!

Nina

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((((((((John and foxy lady))))))))))

Sorry to say, but I do believe having read somewhere on this forum earlier that the WTSociety IS able to charge (thought it was 8 pounds at the time I read that post) for reasonable costs in photocopying and mailing records to publishers under the UK Data Protection Act. I think you may be forced to pay.

Does seem so unfair, doesn't it?

outnfree

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am sure that is right . Like commercial firms they may charge a £10 fee for providing Data Protection Act info. - seems high when the labour to prepare it is given for free

I would not expect to receive very much if the secretary has been active with his shredder

• blondie
    blondie

Individuals have the right to know what data are held about them (but see temporary exemptions, below) including the purposes for which the data is processed and a description of those to whom it may be disclosed. By making application, by letter or e-mail, the individual can request details and these must be made available promptly; a fee of up to £10 may be charged.

http://www.envocare.co.uk/data_protection.htm

This seems to a fee that the ones providing the data can charge to a maximum of 10 pounds. I guess the British government and private businesses can do the same.

http://www.dataprotection.gov.uk/

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

It raises the question, If the UK is on the voluntary donation arrangement can they charge a fee? If they charge a fee, is there any tax that the organization would have to pay in the collection of set fees? Under UK tax law do they have to declare these fees as 'earnings?"

So personally I'd pay it, demanding a receipt from the congregation proving they took the money, then test to see if they declare it.

I would also ask if they are now going to start charging for other services too? Wedding talks, funeral talks. For being separate from babylon they sure are looking and acting a lot like that ole harlot.

Their love of money is becoming more and more blatant.

Uzzah - wondering if Phillip Morris is going to become a sponsor of upcoming conventions

PS - the above are just random thoughts and not necessarily advice on how to proceed.

• Gadget
    Gadget

I've always wondered what infomation was kept about me in the records. I would especially be interested to read the notes from my JC and find out exactly what they thought of what I said to them. And if they were liberal with the shredder I'd like to see them try to use the said documents if I apply to get reinstated...

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Well if 27 years is all you want them to have on you then why persue this at all? Is there a reason you need this info or are you just trying to get back at them to satisfy your anger? Because I don't think it will bring you much satisfaction. When you are in the Org you need them to tell you you are ok. Now that you are out do you really want them telling you that you are not ok? Even documenting to you why you are not ok. Will this really help you in some way?

I do not believe that "justice" is anything you will be able to agree on with them unless you intend on returning.

What will happen if you proceed? You will pay the money, they will send you the document stating that you are now evil because of this reason, and nothing will change. They will have won again, you will be screwed out of some money and they will still be self righteous in thier own eyes. You will still be bad in thier eyes, and they will still be blankity--blank in your eyes.

What do you expect from them anyway? An apology?

• ISP
    ISP

Hi John, I think the £10 is a standard charge. It covers the photocopying and admin expense of the whole thing. If you want to get your records from your GP, you will pay a similar amount. Its not excessive. I would pay and see what they have on you!!

ISP

• Hamas
    Hamas

yo yo yo John and Foxy Lady !!!!

Peace to you !

If they charge you, just bust in there and kick their ass, and take the damn files !

You have made the right decision escaping the watchtower.

www.escapethewatchtower.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit