How much $$$$ will have been spent on the letter writing campaign to Russia?

by OrphanCrow 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I have been following the JW chatter online about the letter writing that has been furiously undertaken by the JWs around the world. A global effort done on the command of the GB in NY.

Several JWs have mentioned the cost of mailing letters (and packages of letters, where allowed) to Russia and the cost is substantial. Some JWs have mailed dozens of letters.

The JW boast is that the Russian postal system will be overwhelmed with letters. Apparently, this will be no surprise. A friend of mine, who is from Russia, thinks it is so silly - the Russian postal system is notoriously bad anyways.

Regardless, I have been thinking.

I wonder how much the JWs from around the world will have invested personally in this campaign? How much money, in total, will have been spent? To benefit the WTS? Will this outlay of "donation$" by the faithful flock be considered on the income line in the tax returns for the WTS?

If, indeed, millions of letters are mailed from locations worldwide, how much $$$ would that actually be? How large of a donation, to the WTS, does this letter campaign represent? In real $$$$?

• blondie
    blondie

When I did this back in the Malawi days, we were allowed to count our time....I wonder if they has been said now. I hope jws realize that the intended receiver will not likely read it any more than elders read DA letters.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver
    If sending from the US a letter to Russia costs $1.15. So if you figure 4 million people will actually send letters to all 6 officials that is 24 million letters. 24,0000,0000 x $1.15= that is 27.6 millions dollar for postage.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    blondie: When I did this back in the Malawi days, we were allowed to count our time....I wonder if they has been said now. I hope jws realize that the intended receiver will not likely read it any more than elders read DA letters

Blondie, according to the chatter, counting time is part of the effort. After all, it is "service to Jehovah!". *to add....some are holding letter writing parties to share the experience and excitement

Of course the receiver won't read it. The JWs seem to think that each and every letter will have to be read and they can command the long drawn out attention of Russian officials who have much better things to do than read every one of those letters.

WT induced psychosis. It should be a new category in the DSM manual. All by itself.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Richard, your calculations are based on US figures. Some countries are paying more for postage and I have read accounts of single JWs sending 20-30 letters just themselves. "6" each is really low - that is only one to each official and there are many JWs who are determined to "make up for those who can't or don't write". And don't forget the army of JW children called into action.

It's a good start, though. Your estimate is on the low side but that is good. I would use it as a minimum number. 27.6 million is a pretty large investment.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Thank you for your interesting monetary observation regarding the letter writing campaign to Russia

Using data that I've already previously posted on one of your other previous threads regarding the letter writing to campaign from a couple of days ago...

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4823778158706688/_post/5688437753511936

A calculated estimated guess is: 70 MILLION US DOLLARS

UK £1.57 to post a letter weighing up to 60 grams, with max length of 24cm, max width of 16.5cm and max thickness of 0.5cm - equivalent US/imperial: $1.97 to post a letter weighing up to 2.1oz, with max length of 9.4inches, max width of 6.5inches and max thickness of 0.2inches

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Another piece of JW chatter I heard - some JWs are sending letters to the Russian embassies in their own countries.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Thank you darkspliver. As always, your posts remind us that we don't all have the time to devote to scroll through and scan and every one of the threads as you do. Your commitment and devotion is much appreciated.

Something else I read was that some JWs were going out and deliberately buying thick paper and envelopes to increase the weight of the letters they were sending. Which, of course, increased the postage cost.

Your estimated guess is 70 million $US (I will follow your link...haven't read it yet)

Whoa...that i$ quite the charitable effort

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

As always, your posts remind us that we don't all have the time to devote to scroll through and scan and every one of the threads as you do. Your commitment and devotion is much appreciated.

Thank you, but I don't spend time - I just remember previous forum discussions that I've had - and then use the forum's ability to click/pick out individual member's posts - quite easy and quick, but I do realise other's are not so computer proficient / familiar

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    Richard Oliver: If sending from the US a letter to Russia costs $1.15.

That seems cheap. Can you please recheck that postage cost?

The USPS website indicates that $1.15 would be for a 6" x 4-1/4" POSTCARD only - ie NOT an evelope / letter

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/Postcard?country=10369&ccode=RU&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=3%2F31%2F2017&m=8&dvi=0

Richard Olivier: So if you figure 4 million people will actually send letters to all 6 officials that is 24 million letters

That seems high, compared to previous data - but maybe the newly available online peer-to-peer encouragement has helped this time?

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4823778158706688/_post/5688437753511936

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit