((((((((((((Vancouver)))))))))))))))))

by jwsons 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Just wondering.

Is it true; I think I am on the mark, that the city of Vancouver, had a referendum on this issue: The 2010 Winter Olympics ?

Didn't they overwhelmingly vote in favour of the 2010 Winter Olympics?

I won't dispute the perceived notions of possible problems with social issues within the city of Vancouver, as well as, over-riding costs, and so much more. (the list is probably very long)

Here, (Toronto) there was NO referendum/plebisite regarding the 2008 Summer Olympics. Lord Lastman and his cronies pretty much did what they wanted. I'm glad Toronto lost.

Honestly, I am glad that the city of Vancouver at least, put it towards the voters. We didn't have that option with the right-wing lunatic: Lastman.

I'm glad he's history as of November 2003.

Toronto needs to get its act together and focus on the 'real needs' not the suburban a$$-kiss.

Canada has only hosted 2 Olympics: 1976 Summer Olympics (MONTREAL) which ran an estimated 1 billion dollar deficit; 1988 Winter Olympics (CALGARY) which, surprisingly, ran a profit.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    Didn't they overwhelmingly vote in favour of the 2010 Winter Olympics?

It was about 60% in favor of the Olympics. Everyone that voted in favor of seems to forget the average working man won't even be able to afford to buy a ticket. Maybe to some of the events that no one gives a S*** about. like the Luge. All those rich bastards and the politicians, like pigs at a trough, have already got their names on the premier tickets. So what will be left won't be worth seeing anyway or you will be paying through the nose. It’s going to cost millions just to secure the events. All it would take is some fanatic with a bomb strapped to his back to spoil the whole thing. Nope I will be out town for that 2 weeks.

Will

• breal
    breal

Hi Ray,

Yep a vote was held in February 2003...but it was late in the stages after the powers that be had already decided to have a Whistler/Vancouver bid back in November of 1998. Plus if anyone has ever been to Vancouver ...we have the Lower Mainland which consists of many cities close together... (Vancouver, North Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, Squamish, Coquitlam etc) and even though the Olympics would have an impact on all of the cities in the lower mainland to one degree or another, there was criteria limiting votes to ONLY City of Vancouver residents.

Cheers,

Breal

• Hamas
    Hamas

Lets face it, Winter Olympics are better suited to Canada than the summer olympics.

• talesin
    talesin

hamas - i take it you have never been to canada

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I think they should have the Summer Olympics in Alaska then they could run them 24/7 with full daylight heheh be kinda cool.

Ven

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Hamas: yup Winter Olympics do suit us, but we've hosted one Summer Olympics already (1976), and one Winter Olympics (1988).

Canada is NOT a complete deep freeze 365 days a year.

As I type, it's 30C (86F) right now, and that's late in the evening.

You'll have to visit Canada one day and see it for yourself, and you'll need a lifetime to even see a small percentage of it. A country of extremes (weatherwise).

Rayzorblade of the: wearing shorts and a tank top class (sweats profusely).

• talesin
    talesin

tks, rb for the info session on canada

it always amazes me that so few know so little about our country. the 'frozen north' - ha ha. my friend in Yellowknife lives on a houseboat. it's 86 deg here right now (@ 1:22 am). btw, i'm not in yellowknife.

even so, i don't want the summer olympics. the pope's visit and the grand prix was enuf for me.

hamas, no offense intended. it's not 40-45 deg here, just 30-35. we do NOT ski in the winter (except for the mountain regions, like everywhere else in the world). we DO have hot summers. and some regions (particularly some parts of BC) don't even usually have snow in winter!

'the frozen north' is mostly an american national fiction abt their cdn neighbors which has been propagated by the PRESS, not the US people, to make fun of us.

rb - i won't say what i'm not wearing, but wud be sweating profusely if not for the cool ocean breeze we get here at this time of nite.

• shamus
    shamus

Hamas,

Get back in your igloo, you freak!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit