What causes new light? Embarrassment, unsustainable doctrine, a desire to affirm FDS status or avoid liability??

by Wasanelder Once 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I am sure its a bit of all four. Do you think they are embarrassed by old doctrines as time goes by that become ludicrous? (Beth Sarim 1925 Resurrection). Or maybe facts over time just don't sustain a doctrine, ie: numbers rising among partakers? Do they simply want to show they have the "FDS" mojo? Or does it come down to cash? (Split the corporations and appoint "helpers", basically fall guys in lawsuits?) What is your take?
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Let's allow Jeehoober himself to answer, shall we?

Ecclesiastes 9:11, " time and chance.."

Then add Billions of potential $$$$!!!!

DD

• Magnum
    Magnum

I think some arises out of current needs/wants of the org. For example, the fairly recent change from FDS = all anointed on earth to FDS = GB. I think they made that change because they were receiving unwanted input, gripes, complaints, suggestions, disagreements from non-GB partakers. After all, wasn't the GB supposed to be just their spokesman? If the GB was supposed to speak for them, it would have to hear from them.

So what was the answer? "New light"! The non-GB partakers now have no more say-so than a pimple-faced microphone carrier. New light shut them up and removed the problem.

• prologos
    prologos

For deep true believers, if they are, they imagine they use a kind of scientific approach to doctrine. : 1) you have a theory /hypothesis, 2) you conduct experiments to verify it. 3) if there is no match ( the past wt experience 100%), you have another stab at it. 4) repeat with another set of ideas, aka new light.

1914 was a lucky hit, but only the date. Every detail of what they predicted was wrong.

It is like They are throwing balls in an amusement park, trying to get a hit for a useless toy, with publisher picking up the tab, an illusion for the players and the payers, somebody is laughing all the way to the bank, if you wake up, it is with indigestion from the cotton candy " food in due season"

trying to affirm status. desperately.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Since it's a man made religion , like all religions, different men have different ideas in order to establish their authority and legacy.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Awake 4/22/1970.

“Tell me,” he asked, “how can I have confidence in anything? How can I believe in the Bible, in God, or have faith? Just ten years ago we Catholics had the absolute truth, we put all our faith in this. Now the pope and our priests are telling us this is not the way to believe any more, but we are to believe ‘new things.’

How do I know the ‘new things’ will be the truth in five years??"

• sparky1
    sparky1

This is the primary cause of "NEW LIGHT"!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Also, since nothing REAL is happening in fulfillment of JW expectations concerning prophecy, they have to do something occasionally to perpetuate the illusion of being progressive.
  • Tenacious
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What causes new light?

Answer = a business profile of a publishing house

Sure some doctrines get revised but the WTS's core marketing false doctrine of Christ's return in 1914 will have to stay put. Which brings to question did god actually choose the WTS. in 1919 when its was obvious it was a commercialized false prophet ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit