Do you think the BIBLE is complete ? is it possible some books are missing

by run dont walk 12 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I mentioned this on a thread,

Now let's say for the sake of arguement, that the bible is not complete, maybe missing a couple books or maybe just some chapters and verses.

Would this throw off the supposed timeline of the JW's, for example, their 1914 theory, creative days, lenghth of a day, anything to do with dates or time related.

It seems to me that the Watchtower spends a lot of time coming up with years of importance.

If the bible is incomplete, how can they be sure of any calculations at all ???

What do you think ???

Is the Bible complete ???

if no, could the Watchtower still come up with proper dates, without having all the information ???

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

How could the bible be "incomplete"?

The ones who got to choose the canon, chose the canon. That's it, right? Over and done except for that Protestant thing, right?

Now, whether it is at all intelligent to believe there is supernatural prophecy in the Bible, is another matter altogether.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The catholic church originally decided what would go into the bible and what stayed out. Later, martin luther trimmed off a few more books. The wt sided w luther's decision. You see, it was just people who decided what was complete or not.

The wt continues the editing process by not accepting some plain statements and adding others to suit their own purposes. Since the bible is such a mishmash, it's fairly easy to make almost any doctrine out of preferred parts.

Russel's and rutherford's chronologies have been mostly jetisoned and replaced w new ones. Eventually, the chronology remnants will be replaced by something else. For some people, reality to to hard to face, so they make up a fantasy world.

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Why limit yourself to the bible? It's not the only spiritual writing in existence. Check out the other stuff, then decide for yourself what is inspired, and what's not.

SS

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Good point SS, Very Good point

• rebel
    rebel

SS,

"Check out the other stuff"

Please let me know what the 'other stuff' is and I will check it out. I am getting a bit tired with the same old story from the Bible - I want to know what else is out there.

xxR

• metatron
    metatron

The book of Jasher is missing

as well as Paul's letter to Laodicea

metatron

• Makena1
    Makena1

Anyone ever heard of the Nag Hammadi Library, discoverd about the same time as the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary Magdalene? Supposedly these writings had some major disagreement with church theology around the time the "real cannon" was being compiled.

This is from Amazon books:

The Nag Hammadi Library was discovered in 1945 buried in a large stone jar in the desert outside the modern Egyptian city of Nag Hammadi. It is a collection of religious and philosophic texts gathered and translated into Coptic by fourth-century Gnostic Christians and translated into English by dozens of highly reputable experts. First published in 1978, this is the revised 1988 edition supported by illuminating introductions to each document. The library itself is a diverse collection of texts that the Gnostics considered to be related to their heretical philosophy in some way. There are 45 separate titles, including a Coptic translation from the Greek of two well-known works: the Gospel of Thomas, attributed to Jesus' brother Judas, and Plato's Republic. The word gnosis is defined as "the immediate knowledge of spiritual truth." This doomed radical sect believed in being here now--withdrawing from the contamination of society and materiality--and that heaven is an internal state, not some place above the clouds. That this collection has resurfaced at this historical juncture is more than likely no coincidence

other links:

http://www.gnosis.org/library/marygosp.htm

http://www.parkstpress.com/titles/gomama.html

All best,

Mak

• DJ
    DJ

The early Church father's such as.....Justin Martyr, Iraneus, Polycarp....etc. writings are found here:

www.ccel.org/fathers2/

These men declared the teachings of Gnostics as heresy. Some of these early church father's knew John and/or Paul. I would be wary of teachers whom people that knew the apostles declared as heretics. Just my opinion of course, but I think there is enough confusion in the world already......made by men who didn't live with Christ or know his apostles. It is always noteworthy to remember that when you see an ancient document that uses the term, "catholic" that is NOT Roman Catholic but used by the Orthodox church to mean "universal". Roman Catholics broke from Orthodoxy in 1458, I believe. They wanted to have the pope and Orthodoxy did not. I don't know how they managed to take the term used by Orthodoxy and make it their name. There is a lot of reading on that site! Have fun. Love, dj

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Some people think that the gospel of John was actually written by Mary Magdalene.... here's a sample::

"This article makes a case for ascribing authorship of the Fourth Gospel (the Gospel of John) in the New Testament to Mary Magdalene. As far as I know -- no previously published work has made an argument in support of this hypothesis. Most biblical scholars today assert that the Fourth Gospel was authored by an anonymous follower of Jesus referred to within the Gospel text as the Beloved Disciple. It is posited here that, in an earlier tradition of the Fourth Gospel's community, the now "anonymous" Beloved Disciple was known to be Mary Magdalene. It is further posited that Mary Magdalene is the true founder and hero of what has come to be known as the Johannine Community (i.e., Mary Magdalene was one of the original apostolic founders and leaders of the early Christian church)."

If you want additional information, type "Gospel of Mary" into a search engine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit