Katherine Hepburn

by myself 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• myself
    myself

Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but one of my favorite actresses passed away:

Katherine Hepburn. I loved her confidence and style.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

You're the first to post it. I just saw it on the news.

What a sad day. What an actress...and what a woman.

Arrowstar

• Aztec
    Aztec

She was one of the classy ones. I just saw it on the news as well. My father had me sit through quite a few of her and Spencer Tracy's movies. She always played smart, tough women.

~Aztec

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

She was a class act all the way goodbye Katherine

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

She was quite something. "Desk Set" is still my all time favorite.

There'll never be another like you, Kate! Thank you for showing us that 'movie stars', and their characters, could be witty and intelligent. A true beauty, too, no silicone or plastic surgery there... truly a one of a kind. It's a sad night :(

*Salute*

essie

• Gopher
    Gopher

A gem of a woman and a fine, fearless actress has left us.

During the early 1930's, the "blonde bombshell" types (like Jean Harlow) were thought of as the ideal Hollywood starlets. Then came Katherine, dark-haired, striking AND intelligent, unafraid of men, carving out a totally new path for all female stars to follow.

All serious actresses today owe a debt to Kate Hepburn. Not the "Hollywood star" type, she never attended an Oscar awards ceremony. Yet she won a record four "best leading actress" awards. And she should have won another in 1940 with her marvelous comeback performance in "The Philadelphia Story" which costarred Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. Yet even with those great actors, Kate stole every scene she was in.

As she got older, she continued to play her roles with elegance and grace, right up to her final award-winning performance in "On Golden Pond" with Henry Fonda.

Kate, rest in peace. Although you may not have cared, you really had hundreds of thousands of loyal admirers.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Very sad.

My favorite of her movies, The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart. She was quite an actress and she now joins the growing list of actors and actresses of my parents generation who, as Mulan likes to say, "know the big secret".

Mrs. Shakita

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

What a great, classy actress. One of the first movies I remember ever seeing was "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner." My mom took me to the movies to see it. I was probably 5 at the time. I remember her telling me that Spencer Tracy passed away two weeks after filming the movie. She had an amazing career, a long life and a peaceful death. Good for you, Kate. Your journey is complete.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Has anyone seen Cynthia MacFadden speak about Katharine Hepburn's death? She is a pretty well-known newscaster, and is the executor of her estate. I read an article about adoption, by her in a woman's magazine recently where she told about how she herself was an adopted child, and that "Kate" has been in her life as long as she can remember, and she spent summers with her as a child, and was married in her living room. She has one child, a two year old son and Kate asked to be allowed to name him, so she named him Spencer. Cynthia is about 47, so probably not Kate's child, but I have wondered about the connection. Maybe a grandchild?

In the article, she said that Kate made her promise her that she would never search for her adoptive parents, and she never has. (she alluded to nothing in her article, but it just made me think about the possibilities)

She said Kate hadn't been an old family friend, (not a friend of her parents) but that she was just always in her life. I saw her on TV last night making the family's announcement about her death, and it said she is the executor of the estate. It seems odd, because Miss Hepburn has a niece she was very close to, until her death. It is a mystery dying to be solved. Maybe now it will be. Or maybe there is nothing to it either.

And.............yes, now she knows the "big secret".

• sandy
    sandy

The Philadelphia Story was my favorite movie of hers.

She was a very classy actress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit