• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Yes. This example, directed at children, should suffice:

• jdubhub
    jdubhub
    Maybe
  • Simon
    Simon

I think "terrorism" is a bit of a strong word. And I presume you meant "psychological" so I changed the title.

Seriously, in a world where real terrorists massacre people going to restaurants and theatres I think "us" using it for 'my friend won't talk to me anymore' is pure hyperbole.

They are cruel and unloving sure ... but terrorists? I think it's a stretch and trying to make that argument isn't going to convince anyone (other that *we* are heavily biased and possibly a little unbalanced)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Yes one could describe it as psychological terrorism .

In the intentional means to attract attention to the literature the WTS produces

it has many times used fear provoking thoughts or images.

photo february-1-watchtower-public-1.jpg

• Simon
    Simon

I think it's "alarmist" at most ... psychological terrorism brings up different connotations

e.g. the psychological warfare directed at General Noriaga, videos by Daesh etc...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Terrorism might be a bit strong of a word to use , but let it be recognized that the WTS has used for a very long

time coercive fear inducing doctrines to lure people to its organization where they can be further exploited and

manipulated to support the organization of itself.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Shameless emotional manipulation - yes.

Dishonest recruiting practices - yes.

Masterful use of misdirection - yes.

The good news is folks, once you are aware of the con you can walk away without being shot, hanged, beheaded or thrown in prison.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm not sure if 'terrorism' is the right word - maybe psychological 'bullying' or 'abuse' would fit better.

I would say yes, some JWs do this. Some WT publications also do this.

I was 'encouraged' to get baptized in 1994 by a brother saying the following words: "you know what's shortly going to happen, LUHE, you would be foolish to miss out!" - translation: if you don't hurry up and get baptized, God will kill you soon. How nice!

And an elder's words of advice a year later: "I've noticed you've been encouraging your mother to give up smoking, LUHE, and she's made no progress. It doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps you would do better just to concentrate on your own personal standing with Jehovah!" - translation: you're mum's done for, give up! God will probably kill her soon, so look after yourself. Even nicer!

To a 15/16 year old kid, it's crap like this that can screw people up.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I believe that WT must know that they are employing dishonest propaganda techniques in many of their articles. It is a form of conditioning. It is why they are always pushing for more personal study and comments, they want you to brain wash yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit