Should I Call My Father???

by L_A_Big_Dawg 17 Replies latest social family

• sf
    sf

This really burns me up. Thanks for sharing by the way.

They shun the krap out of us. Treat us as birdfood. Then when they are in dire straits or gravely ill they have SOMEONE call you and try to guilt you into calling them because why?

All of a sudden it's as if their life is more precious and if you DON'T call you are the asshole. It is such mindphuck.

What if the shoe was on your foot? Would anyone compel him to call you? Hell no.

The balls these jws have astonishes me everyday I WITNESS IT!

As Eminem puts it so perfectly: "Now it's a tragedy, now it's so sad to see"!

But hey, when I get the call that my mom is finally ill enough that she is ALLOWED by her husband and WATCHTOWER POLICY to speak to me because after all, she will be dead soon...I will be there. With bells on!

{{{{ hugs for you in YOUR time of soul searching}}}}

sKally

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

The JW religion twists the heart so bad. It takes all the blood out of our veins and pours cold water in its place. Your Dad is apparently trying to reach out from that 'cold' mindset.

I think you should call your Dad. If you love him, it's worth the risk it's worth the pain.

My Dad was not a JW, we suffered in a divided household. It tore us all apart, and now he's dead and I cannot make up for all the lost Thanksgiving Dinners or Father's Days or whatever else we missed out on.

If you love your Dad, risk the call. Not doing it may be more painful later than whatever pain it may cause now.

Just my 2 cents.

IW

• Francois
    Francois

I can't help but wonder why, if his pacemaker has woken him up, he doesn't drop the other shoe and call you.

If you call him, I suggest you open with, "Hi. I hear you've got a pacemaker." and see where it goes from there. If he wants to talk about something else, he will. Let him guide the conversation. You broke the ice after all.

francois

• Valis
    Valis

I would call, as long as the conversation did not veer into religion. Eventually though, condition or not, you need to express exactly how you feel to him...Well, maybe not in the first 5 minutes of the conversation, but you know what I mean..*LOL*....On the other hand maybe you want to send him a pic of you and the famand include your phone number. it would be very telling if he really wanted to put the shunning aside and get on with it...best of luck.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• maxwell
    maxwell

I've been out for a little over a year and I have JW parents although the situation isn't exactly like yours. My father did actually call me in January. Seems like a long time but we probably wouldn't call really often even without the JW stuff. I agree with everyone else. When I left, I told my parents I would always be open to talking to them no matter what they decided. My mother has kind of hinted at keeping distance but neither has told me not to call. So I plan to call every now and then as I did in the past as long as they don't say "Don't call." Sounds like you been out longer and have had more strained relations, but I think I would call in that situation.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I have simply transferred the burden of initiation of contact on to those who have rejected me in the past. They have worked hard to earn that privilege. I only initiate contact with those who I like, those I honor and respect.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I don't make these kind of recommendations I finally (a few years ago) talked Thunder into calling his idiot Father. Mistake BIG mistake I just wish you peace

• berylblue
    berylblue

I can understand your turmoil.

A few years ago, I tried to ascertain if any of my siblings felt they were abused in any way by our father.

I was met with, at best, icy non-acknowedgement. Although one sister said, "Well, you certainly do have all the signs of someone who was abused". Meaning problems with alcohol, bulimia, anorexia, self mutilation.

I lived in turmoil and drank, threw up and self-mutilated a lot.

For me, the answer was to let it rest. At least for now.

Know that you will have support here whatever you decide.

Rosemarie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit