Euthanasia

by iiz2cool 18 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

First of all, I don't really have an opinion on euthanasia one way or the other. But since my mother has a terminal illness, I've been thinking more about it. Not for her, but for myself when the time comes. Which will probably be in the very distant future.

Last night in the hospital, she tearfully asked the doctor, "Can't someone just please kill me now?" I'm sure it was just the frustration of not being able to be as independant as she used to be. But she is now in a retirement facility, and requires assistance for just about everything. Her mind is still as sharp as ever, which probably makes it even more difficult for her. When I looked around at the other residents of the home, I noticed that they just sat there, motionless, staring into space all day long. They looked like they were already dead, but just forgot to stop breathing.

I find it hard to think of myself in such a state. I'm very independant too, and the thought of having to rely on others to change my diapers appalls me. At this moment, I think I'd rather take myself out when I can see that enjoying any quality of life is impossible. I think I'd rather make my exit on my terms. I don't have any children, or other close family members, so it wouldn't really make a difference to anyone.

Any thoughts?

Walter

• Francois
    Francois

Actually, I'm thinking more about your mother, poor soul. What is her illness? Is she indeed terminal?

I believe that when the quality of life becomes intolerable that a person should have the option of ending their life. I don't think this should be a response to a treatable situation like depression, but to a terminal disease, or even to a chronic situation that has a very negative effect on life quality e.g. Chris Reeve's situation.

• larc
    larc

My wife had a stroke last September. There were timsincne tthehen that she wanted to end it all. Fortunately, she is gettintg better, and is more opomistic. We. however, have concluded that if liife gets tough for us, we will pull our car into the garagem get a bittke if good wine, turn and the radio, then turn on the ignitions, and die from carbon monxide poisoning, while in a happy state. Pleaease excus and grammer and spelling errors, as one third of my post on the right hand part of the screen can not be seen by me.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I'm for euthanasia. I've had a mother with a terminal illness, as well as seeing other relatives suffer from strokes, cancer etc, where their final months/years were ones of extremely poor quality of life.

If I'm at, or getting to, the stage where I will no longer be able to control my body functions, or my brain will make me a living vegetable, and I am totally dependant upon other people for the simplest of tasks, then I'd rather be able to take my own life. I don't think that allowing a person against their will to live in such a manner is treating life with respect. It's not living, it's existing.

In fact, I've told my sister that if I'm ever in an accident and I end up in a coma with the prospect of being a human vegetable, I've given her my permission to turn the machine off. I'd rather die than "live" like that.

• heathen
    heathen

I agree this should be a personal decision in cases of terminal illness that has no chance of recovery. I feel the same as to if I should be in a state of unbearable pain and suffering that things need not be delayed in my relief .

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

iiz2cool: sorry to read about "Mom", I know she must be feeling that her dignity has been taken from her because of this illness.

I have told my brothers, that should anything happen to me, they are to NOT keep me on any life support, and if anyone can benefit from what's useful: Go4it!

When my sister was killed, many years ago, my Mom saw to it, that my sister's corneas were used to help another person see. Organ transplants were not happening back then.

If and when the day comes for me to exit. I hope to be of full mind. If the body has failed, it's only a matter of time before everything else follows. I'd rather be of sound mind, making sound decisions, than to be mentally incompacitated, and then having others making decisions for me. No thanks!

I have things written down with regards to "My wishes".

My brother, younger than me, has signed the papers in agreement.

It's never too late to consider things while we are able-bodied and sound of mind.

A living will: great idea.

Good post Walter. My thoughts are with your Mom at this time.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

If I have a terminal illness that is demeaning and makes me into a vegetable of any sort, or I am suffering greatly, why not? Life is about quality, not quantity.

Doctors in hospitals don't support euthanasia because if their patients die, the lining of their pockets get thinner. Assholes.

When my grandfather was dying last year, the doctors were doing everything in their power to keep him in that hospital. Even after the order was signed for him to go home for the last few days of his life, those goddamn doctors squeezed as many visits in as possible, even though they were just popping thier heads in the door and asking, how do you feel? (and of course charging $300 for a 2 minute visit for that wonderful help) I hate them all.

Still, for those not intent on ending it themselves, the hospice programs are dignified and a warm way to pass this earth, around your own things, surrounded by your own family.

ash

• teejay
    teejay

Well said, Prisca. I share your viewpoint 100%.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

One part of me says euthanasia would be good in some cases because my mother lived a horrible esistance for the last ten years of her life. However, there is another side to this, someone is sure to want to rush grannie off to the graveyard in order to get to her money sooner or, just because it is rather inconvient having her around. Just some random thoughts. Bug

• Ghost of Esmeralda
    Ghost of Esmeralda

I have Multiple Sclerosis.

A friend of mine just lost her father, who had had the illness for 30+ years, and was in his early 60's. He died a horrible, painful death and basically sufficated slowly, unable to do anything for himself. It took days.

I have already told my husband, I will not die that way. I will not face life in a home, either, and if it ever came to that, I would find a way to end my suffering.

For patients who lose control of their bodies, (not their minds, as in the case of depression) and become totally dependant on others...this is not living. I don't think they should have put Kavorkian in jail, to me he's the most humane doctor in the world.

We put animals to sleep out of 'mercy'. Do human beings deserve any less? I think not.

essie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit