If alcohol was a DF offense

by James Mixon 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I guess the question which is the hardest to give up smoking or alcohol. Many folks gave up smoking in the 70's including me but I have known some hard drinking brothers and if consuming any kind of alcohol became a DF offense, I wonder....

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think it comes down to this......... Is It better to have a bottle in front of you then a frontal lobotomy.

Smoking, while easily as old, if not older then drinking............. does not fit the corporate image of the WTBTS . So it was banned as a habit even though no more serious as drinking. Serious of course, but ultimately not as serious as other things that get a pass at the KH.

It became part of the religious dogma of the JW.s............ incorporating it as a belief that is more in keeping with modern day society then the old New Translation.

Yes smoking is bad for you but so is overeating and drinking.

It's another example of the WTBTS blowing menthol smoke up the ass of their worshipers.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I agree Giordano. It's strange the world's three major monotheistic religions have overlapping yet distinct relationship with alcohol. One can observe a religious Jew filling his cup to the brim with wine on Friday night, while a religious Muslim or a Holy Roller wouldn't be caught dead holding a drink.

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Giordano

I remember that line from an old hale and pace skit but it was " I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy "

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

If they stop drinking of alcohol in the cult they would lose half of their people. Lol. Still Totally ADD

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Still Totally ADD: yes it would be the end of the organization..

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I often wondered why eating fast food and being overweight isn't a disfellowshipping offense? The logic behind the smoking prohibition is that smoking is harmful to your body and your body is supposed to be a temple to Jehovah. Therefore, putting high levels of sugar, sodium, and saturated fat would also be the same as inhaling tobacco smoke.

I remember as a kid my friend's dad, who was not a born-in, getting disfellowshipped for smoking. I also remember going out in field service on Saturdays taking our morning break. Chances are it was a McDonald's, a donut shop, or some other place that the members of our car group would intake huge amounts of sugar and sodium.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

The real deal is, if alcohol to excess was a DF offense, there would be no elders left, not even taking into account the rest of the Cong.

• sir82
    sir82

LOL. You want to see REAL "mass exodus" from JWs?

Just ban booze. Or football.

Or ban booze AND football.

Attendance for the next Memorial would 12 - worldwide.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

James That's one favour the Witnesses did do for you....getting you to give up smoking. I'm glad for that😀

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit