LANDMARK DECISION - Vicki Boer vs Watchtower Society

by Uzzah 144 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• reporter
    reporter

How the hell that somebody can assess that you exaggerated that situation is beyond me. Complete NONSENSE.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    "The elders and their families are glad to be able to put this behind them,"

Don't count your chickens, boys.....

Expatbrit

• needs_lots
  • sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I'm still upset. Why only $5,000? And those elders were "exonorated"? This makes me sick. I'm so sad today. I think I'm gonna cry a little.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Vicki & Bill Bowen}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• Scully
    Scully

Here's the text from the Toronto Sun article in Vicki's post above:

Tue, July 1, 2003 Church lawsuit ends in a split By IAN MCDOUGALL, TORONTO SUN

Both sides in a lawsuit filed against the Jehovah's Witnesses are claiming victory after a Toronto judge awarded a woman $5,000 over the church's handling of a sexual abuse case. The woman sued the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Canada for $700,000, claiming the church tried to cover up the abuse she suffered from her father in the early to mid-1980s.

$5,000 AWARD

Justice Anne Molloy dismissed her claim that the church breached its fiduciary duty and failed to report the abuse to the Children's Aid Society.

But Molloy ruled the woman was entitled to $5,000 because she was forced by a church official to confront her father about his abuse.

The woman said she is not happy with the judgment but is glad there was a ruling in her favour.

"I really want people to know what they did was wrong," she said.

Lawyer Colin Stevenson said the church is satisfied with the outcome.

Love, Scully

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

Thanks Scully,

I still don't know how to post news releases.

vic

• reporter
    reporter
    Lawyer Colin Stevenson said the church is satisfied with the outcome.

They think they got away with it. All they have to do is issue a $5,000 check and then nobody in the affected congos talk about it. The average congregation has about 100 publishers. That is a scant 50 bucks per publisher. Hardly a dent in the coffers of ONE CONGREGATION, let alone the Canada Bethel. They hope that this all goes away quietly, too, so they're done with it.

• Scully
    Scully

reporter writes:

All they have to do is issue a $5,000 check

My understanding is that the award also included interest retroactive to 1998, when the suit was filed. It's still peanuts, and an insultingly pathetic award, compared to the harm that Vicki suffered as a direct result of that judicial committee process.

And we aren't just talking about the JC itself, here. When she walked out of that room, she became a pariah in a community that was her sole support system and was treated worse than pond scum. At the same time the person who abused her was able to garner the support of the congregation and have his Privileges™ back after a short period of time. That kind of psychologically abusive fallout is precisely what DRIVES people away from the JWs. That's what crystalizes in the minds of people who are HURTING that JWs do not exemplify the words of Jesus: "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves." - John 13:35.

Love, Scully

• reporter
    reporter

What they think, is, because she left the "truth" over this matter, that she doesn't have Jehovah's support (and in their minds might be making this whole thing up or exaggerating), but the perpetrator, because he sought "repentence" and had his "privileges" restored, is seen to be "loyal to Jehovah" through his organization, and that Vicki fell victim to the "world" and "Satanic thinking". That's part of the thinking that goes on here.

Like you said, it's a small community with in a small community, and everybody in Shelburne and beyond will get wind of this, and pays the price of a pariah. Small wonder she had to move to New Brunswick.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hello Vicki,

I hope you are reading this.

I am still out of the loop until tomorrow but I just wanted to say congrats on the victory. From a legal point of view you made a huge dent.

From a money point of view, I think her Honour could have done at least 20,000 dollars better.

As you and others knew, I was not available from Thursday until Wednesday of this week and obviously won't be able to do anything for you until tomorrow. I will call tomorrow.

Thank you and Scully for getting this out to the lamestreet press. I look forward to reading the articles.

hawk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit