What I Saw & Heard in the Oral Argument Hearing on January 14, 2015

by ABibleStudent 68 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I'm very sure that Jon Williams said nonfeasance and not misfeasance in his oral arguments because he also stated that the WTBTS did not have a special relationship with the plaintiff - a lot of indirect evidence might disprove Jon Williams argument.

In my opinion both WTBTS lawyers said things to try to obscure the evidence/issues.  I feel that the judges knew it too.  I was disappointed that Rick Simons did not capitalize on what the WTBTS lawyers said and told the judges where in the brief to find the proof to disprove what the WTBTS lawyers said.  Also, Rick Simons should have emphasized that the jurors believed the indirect evidence that was presented to them and discounted the testomony of WTBTS representatives to come to their verdict as demonstrated by awarding punitive damages of $20,000,001 [$1 bolded for emphasis] and assigning liability to the WTBTS that was double that of the local congregation.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• besty
    besty

By and large its futile for armchair quarterbacks (on either side) to second-guess the judicial system.

Most times the judge(s) have decided who deserves to win and will construct their judgment accordingly.

• 4rationality
    4rationality

Chaserious,

Simons’ new primary theory-- CUSTODY and CONTROL by “assigning Candace to Kendrick”-- replaced Simons’ old primary theory--CUSTODY and CONTROL by the 1989 BOE letter.

Robert reports the results: The oral arguments format “forces attorneys to focus on the two or three most important arguments.”

• Simons’ did not emphasize that the 1989 BOE letter that he introduced during the trail was a smoking gun about the special relationship between the Watchtower and [Candace].”
    •  

Simons’ response to Watchtower’s AOB introduced a new “smoking gun”, his new PRIMARY theory of choice.

1. Starting with Simons’ unresponsive INTRODUCTION then to his somewhat responsive argument section:

INTRODUCTION

Plaintiff Jane Doe (Candace Conti) was nine years old when the elders of defendant North Fremont Congregation  .of Jehovah’s Witnesses (“Congregation”) repeatedly . assigned her to participate with Jonathan Kendrick, a man known to them as a child . molester, in the Congregation’s door-to-door ministry known as “field service.”

[R]egardless of whether defendants owed an affirmative duty to protect plaintiff, their . conduct in actively assigning her to participate in field service with a man they knew to be . a child molester constituted a misfeasance.

ARGUMENT

I. … IN ANY EVENT, THEY COMMITTED ACTUAL MISFEASANCE BY ASSIGNING HER TO FIELD SERVICE WITH KENDRICK.

I. B. Regardless Of Whether Defendants Owed An Affirmative Duty To Protect Plaintiff, They Committed Misfeasance By Assigning Plaintiff To Perform Field Service With Kendrick.

2. Now past the “approximately two pages” Simons continues to argue, advance, promote, amplify his NEW “smoking gun”, his new PRIMARY theory. In fact, twenty four times throughout the “approximately twelve pages” we see Simons’ new PRIMARY theory-- custody and control by “assigning Candace to Kendrick”--including …

• “There was substantial evidence that defendants exerted custody and control over Candace by assigning her to perform field service with Kendrick.  
    • "Here, substantial evidence supports the trial court’s determination that Watchtower and Congregation took custody and control of Candace by assigning her into field service, thereby creating a special relationship with her.
    • “First, … Watchtower’s liability was based not only on its failure to protect plaintiff but also on its affirmative negligence in assigning plaintiff and Kendrick to perform field service together. Second, Watchtower’s duty to protect Candace arose from its special relationships with her.
    • “[T]he fact that Candace was assigned to perform field service with Kendrick on multiple occasions supported an inference that defendants’ policy permitted a child to be assigned to field service with a known child molester.
    •  The opening briefs of both Watchtower and the Congregation … omit critical facts, including [1.] the fact that the elders assigned Jonathan Kendrick and Candace Conti together in field service …

3. Watchtower’s opening brief devoted some thirteen pages contradicting Simons’ “smoking gun about the special relationship between the Watchtower and [Candace]” So we would expect Simons’ response brief to include-- of necessity and not by choice-- “approximately twelve pages” defending the old theory.

4. Simons’ new PRIMARY theory, as feeble as it is, must be greatly preferable to his old theory. It cost Simons’ dearly to switch horses midstream.

• "It is a firmly entrenched principle of appellate practice that litigants must adhere to the theory on which a case was tried. Stated otherwise, a litigant may not change his or her position on appeal and assert a new theory. To permit this change in strategy would be unfair to the trial court and the opposing litigant." (Hines v. California Coastal Com 'n, Bd. of Supervisors of Sonoma (20 1 0) 186 Cal.App.4th 830, 846-847.)

Simons’ new PRIMARY theory violated “a firmly entrenched principle of appellate practice that litigants must adhere to the theory on which a case was tried.”

Chaserious, perhaps your objection to my “abandoned” is fair. Watchtowers’ Reply Brief characterized it as “relegates to the background”--not quite “all but abandoned”. What do you suggest?

• Gayle
    Gayle

I understand that a "decision" may generally be done within 90 days after oral arguments submitted.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/12420.htm

Of course, there could be exception. So, maybe within a couple weeks?? Then, petitions can happen within 30 days. Site shows California Supreme Court, grants only 4 to 5 percent of cases petition for review.

• PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil

Please tell me that Candace is not going to lose this lawsuit and your views it the Watchtower must confess their sins to the public court of opinion. I don't like the Watchtower hurting people and often they hurt the victims, not the perps!

I am so sorry Ms Conti! All we can do is pray God, the Universe will punish these wicked doers!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

@ Gayle, Only 5 more days to wait for the 90-day period to expire. After 90-days it could be anyone's guess when a ruling will be handed down.

@ PokerPlayerPhil, Since the WTBTS was only appealing the puniative damages judgement, Candace Conti has already shown that the WTBTS was culpable for her being raped by Kendricks.

Instead of praying to (or waiting for) God, I would recommend contacting politicians to pass laws that eliminate SOL for child sexual abuse and third-parties used undue influence on a victim for civil lawsuits where you live and to pass laws to revise the Tax Code (or Charitable laws) to protect children from sexual abuse. Nothing will change if the laws stay the same.

Have you read any of the following threads?

Robert

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

PokerPlayerPhil - "Please tell me that Candace is not going to lose this lawsuit..."

I don't think she's lost it.

To the best of my knowledge, the WTS isn't appealing the verdict, they're appealing the amount of punitive action imposed upon them.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

@ Vidiot, I feel that the justices will rule for Candace Conti. They are talking their time to make sure that all the "i's" are dotted and the "T's" are crossed. They probably do not want to give the Watchtower any basis for appealing their ruling.

Although I probably will be very happy for Candace when the Court announces its decision, I also feel sorry for Candace since she hurt the WTBTS but not enough to make it change its child protection policies. Changing the Tax Code is probably the only way to make the WTBTS start protecting children more than enabling and protecting pedophiles.

Robert

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Personally, I don't even think losing tax-exempt status would make a difference.

My gut tells me that at this point, the WT leadership would rather the entire Org crash and burn before capitulating to their opponents..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit