Greetings and would like some advice about a potentially fun idea

by towerwatcher 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Pointing out the obvious....Who would wear these? Not a big money maker IMHO. Not even enough to raise the ire of the WT's legal beagles. Sorry if I've let the air out of the baloon.

• towerwatcher
    towerwatcher

Cult-T. LOL

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Maybe the fake stuff would sell better, but change the logo a bit, maybe misspell WATCHTOWER

• towerwatcher
    towerwatcher

I really appreciate the responses. So quick. You guys are awesome. I had the lingering feeling what ctrwtf said was right anyways even as I thought of it. Thanks for your honest opinions. I still think it's hilarious as an obscure inside joke novelty item. Maybe I'll get them printed as a joke or something someday.

• Funchback
    Funchback

OnTheWayOut-

If I had been drinking something when I saw your meme, I would have drowned my laptop.

Funny!!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Funchback,

Who plagiarized who?

Sorry I wasn't more clear; it was the Witchtower that plagiarized Johnny Walker.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'd be willing to bet a nickel right now that most of the people offering their insights and advice have NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever with actually undertaking such a project.

Sure, it SOUNDS like a fun project right now. How much of your personal wealth do you want to tie up in box after box of t-shirts stacked in your garage that racoons will use for bedding material? But wait! There's a BONUS! Racoons can carry parasites that will make you look forward to death!

So it's not ALL downhill!

OK, back to the nitty-gritty bottom line - or close to it:

Small, medium, large, extra-large, 2x-large, 3x-large (6 size groups)

men's, lady's and child's size categories (3 categories)

long-sleeves, short-sleeves, sleeveless, tank top, hoody, baseball style, etc (6 or more groups)

how many titles? Let's say four, just four starts.

how many colors? let's say four...

Multiply 6x3x6x4x4 = 1,728 shirts

This will give you ONE of each of the above shirt possibilities.

THIS is why you want to do a project like this using Cafe Press.

That's what I have done with my t-shirt and other designs.

If you go with Cafe Press, you still will sell almost NO shirts, but you won't lose YOUR shirt doing so, and the consequent bitterness will be almost palatable.

Go ahead, challenge me - dare me to reveal some of my experience in this field. i continue to maintain that the majority of your other advisors here have done NOTHING except form opinions about what you should do.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Titles are not copyrightable, but the typesetting may have something proprietary about it.

I would check with a business attorney before doing anything if you are still so inclined.

I will agree however though, that it is a pretty limited market and the irony (?) would be lost on most.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

As a former JW, I get the irony of these T-shirts but younger JW's wouldn't get the point, as these books went the way of the dinosaur decades ago and older JW's wouldn't really care since they view new light as a good thing. Besides, the wearer of the T-shirts would be plagued by questions as to their meaning, from non JW's and end up wasting more of their lives because of these publications.

Perhaps a huge gathering of former JW's grouped outside an assembly with t-shirts emblazoned with the photo below, might have an effect.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It would be better to do shirts that would be a parody of these books. That way you wouldn't be as likely to run into copyright infringement. Personally I wouldn't walk around in a shirt with a Watchtower publication in the front unless it was making a derogatory statement of some kind.

There have been a lot of threads where people were making funny, fake Watchtower covers, you might want to look at those for ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit