"Are natural disasters a sign of the times?" -- Yes, says WT

by FatFreek 2005 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

Yes, Bible prophecies suggest that there would be disasters during “the conclusion of the system of things,” or “the last days.”

Its ts now just a suggestion?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The written ancient prophecies in the bible were mythological expressions to create power and relevance to the savior god Jesus.

Actually every supposed sign of the end times was prevalent at the time or era those words were written.

Call it imaginative bullshit created through wanting emotions and desirable speculation.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Religious people get turned on by all the big stuff that is bad in the world and point to any major news event as evidence that the end is nigh.

If Jesus was real, and responsible for creating everything, as JW's believe, why didn't he mention the mosquito?

Some people estimate that malaria has quietly killed almost half the human beings that have ever lived and put the estimated deaths from this illness at 50 billion.

That figure makes the deaths from all the wars ever fought in history look like a footnote.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

35+ years ago, I was freshly out of High School and the discussion came up about an increase in earthquakes equating to the "Time of the End". It was just a High School Education and having the ownership and possession of a National Geographic Atlas of Maps that included a map of the Ring of Fire, maps of the earths' plates, and areas of high plate shift and regions of high expectation of earth quakes. There was a major earth quake and Brother "Has too much Faith in the Governing Body" mentioned this as a precursor of the Great Tribulation. I said, Brother "Bama Much Faith", this is a region prone to earth quakes because they are located on top of a plate. I further mentioned there were about 5000 earthquakes a year. He debated with me about how many EQ's there were and I humbly remained silent.

About a year later, the explanation from the WTBTS was that earthquakes would be effecting more persons than ever in history not necessarily increasing in numbers. Which is a safe bet. Just thought this was interesting.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has pandered, exploited and supported human ignorance in its on going venture to proliferate its own published literature.

With the addition of demeaning education.

They propagated the thought that all information one ever needed about human history and other histories such as the earth's geology and astrological etc. are in the bible .

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

What Jesus said at Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 was not a sign, but rather an anti-sign. He was warning about being misled by charlatans.

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. Tell us, they said, when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?
    Jesus answered: Watch out that no one deceives you.
    For many will come in my name, claiming, I am the Messiah, and will deceive many.
    You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.
    Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
    All these are the beginning of birth pains.

Note: this phrase “the beginning of birth pains” indicates a non-event, as the awaited child was not yet born. This is in harmony with the full context of Jesus’ warning to “not be alarmed” as “wars and rumors of wars”, “nation rising against nation” and the ensuing conditions of famine, as well as common earthquakes are not indicative of the return of Christ. It is the worst kind of anti-Christian aberration to teach people that God would inflict mass pain and suffering on mankind to distinguish his Son’s supposed invisibly fly-by.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Yes, Bible prophecies suggest

'suggest' is a bit of a weazle word I reckon.

that there would be disasters during “the conclusion of the system of things,” or “the last days.” (Matthew 24:3; 2 Timothy 3:1)

And like most looney cults, the 'last days(TM)' always happen to be in our life time.

For example, concerning our time, Jesus said: “There will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another.” (Matthew 24:7)

Like these things have never happened in the history of humanity.

Hilarious. Why believe such poppycock? Makes a person feel special?

Whatever happens, the WBT$ and other religious lunatics will twist it to mean 'shortly' and 'we will see it in our lifetime'.

I'm so glad I see through it all now.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Sadly I heard it said that my grown up niece with two teenage kids of her own ,

while driving through the countryside of drought stricken Victoria commented on how dry and desolate was the landscape and remarked just how close we must be to the end.

Of course 6 months later that same countryside is all green again

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

This is old news. The cult has always used the latest shootings, storms, corruption or political scandal and wars and conflicts to say its a sign of the end. But this has always been going on. Other than the Political scandal and war storms and extinction events have been going on long before man evolved. The cult uses small minded arguments to persuade the weak minded.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As it should be accepted by now the doctrines the WTS propagated since its inception as publishing house were based off weak speculation and non adherence to what the bible really says but nevertheless they may have been commercially appealing for literature sales and distribution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit