Were you married at the Kingdom Hall ? How bad was your wedding reception ?

by run dont walk 61 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I'm just wondering.....

I remember going to some wedding receptions for couples who got married at the Kingdom Hall,

and I hate to be mean but, SUPER BORING, and bad, How bad you ask ?? ok here we go ....

- the worst had to be one couple played Kingdom Meolodies for their wedding dances, I couldn't believe it.

- no alcohol (I'm sure we all experienced a few of these), reception was over by 9:30.

- no music at all, just a gathering of people, and they ended the reception with a prayer, I thought I was at an assembly.

- food, like if you can't afford to get married DON'T, Like frozen stuff bought at your local grocery store, and still in the package when you got up to the tables, how tacky.

- you could always tell a couple who couldn't afford much, when you had to drive 50 miles into the back woods to find some dinky little community hall they rented for $100.

- I remember one where the bride was pregnant, I was really surprised they allowed them to use the Kingdom Hall.

- Another classic was, they had this band (of all JW's of course) and man they were bad. You had to be there, hard to put into words.

- another, I knew the couple fairly well, and they got this brother to do their wedding pictures, and he forgot to take a piece off the camera (I think it was the cap), so he took all these pictures and the next day realized he had rolls of film with nothing on them.

So, what are some of your horror stories, or maybe everything went okay, love to hear them.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

ROFL! I think that the cap on the camera just takes the cake.

I'm going to be married at the KH in a few months. Hopefully none of the above will happen to me! The biggest thing that annoys me about witness weddings is the talk. The elder doing ours is a pretty good guy; we're going to ask him if he can try and make the talk a celebration of the occasion, rather than a summary of the family book.

• Prisca
    Prisca
    you could always tell a couple who couldn't afford much, when you had to drive 50 miles into the back woods to find some dinky little community hall they rented for $100.

You're a city-slicker, aren't ya?

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Yes, Prisca I am, but so were they, that's what made this unreal, no lie I think it was about 60 miles out of the city, down dirt roads, no lights on the road, got to the place finally, it was falling apart, I laugh about it now, but it was bad.

• greven
    greven
    - the worst had to be one couple played Kingdom Meolodies for their wedding dances, I couldn't believe it.

Strange indeed! You know it is actually something the WT has written about!

*** w61 5/15 320 Questions from Readers ***

If one desires to have music at a wedding, it would seem to be more fitting to have Kingdom songs at a theocratic wedding than one of the popular wedding marches, which have pagan or mythological backgrounds. However, Kingdom music should not be used for dancing.

LOL Greven

• qwerty
    qwerty

Yep!

Great reception to.............Nothing bad to say about our Wedding.

Well just one thing! Some of my non JW family thought I we did not want them on the official wedding Pics. They went off to the reception, and had to get them all together out side the reception hall. On the official family pics we ended up with non-Family JW's from the local congs intermingled with my relations!

It's funny in some ways, but annoying at the same time.

Qwerty

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

However, Kingdom music should not be used for dancing.

They need to tell people this?

• greven
    greven

Abaddon,

Hard to dance to anyway, waltzing perhaps?

We are Jehovah's Witlesses...

* tappity tappity*

Yeah! Shake that booty!

Greven

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

This post no doubt will receive much attention - it is just too good of a topic not to, but, firstly, and briefly, (I will be back with my own experience after a favourite TV show) -

Eupha - three months before your wedding in a KH? That means you still have plenty of time to wise up and not to do something that you may perhaps regret (not so much the wedding, as to where it is taking place), but in anycase, may look back on in later years with embarrassment.

Start thinking about a more sensible ceremony.

cheeses - just offering some friendly counsel.

• Austrian
    Austrian

The Jdub weddings without alcohol would tick me off. It meant I would have to run down to the store and pound down a six pack. The best part was everyone noticed when 3 or 4 guys would come in a little glassy eyed. We were also usually the only one having somewhat a good time.

Thank God my wedding was a good old fashioned Austrian/Catholic party. Everyone partied and had a spectacular time. Jdubs think if you have fun doing something it must be wrong....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit