Women are a "stack of bones and a hank of hair" - J.F. Rutherford

by krismalone 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• millie210
    millie210
    AnneB
    Millie210, you are correct, Rutherford was quoting from a poem called "The Vampire" by Rudyard Kipling. It's online if anyone wants to look.
    In the poem a man is enamored of a faithless woman and can't see it but his friends can. The phrase that Rutherford quoted he did quite accurately since he was discussing losing out on the heavenly calling to chase after something not worth the time and effort. Rutherford was not being sexist, he wasn't dissing women, he was pointing out what a loss it would be to pursue such a course.
    Quoting well-known poetry is a technique used in public speaking by persons with a classical education. It's the unenlightened who tear him apart in their ignorance.

Thank you AnneB. I thought that is what I remembered but I appreciate the specifics.

I have no respect for Rutherford but I want to stay within factual bounds in my "disrespect". If I get any thing wrong at all (saying he is responsible for an original statement when he was merely quoting - however repugnant the statement) I discredit myself as a person who is factual and I do not want to do that.

My family has always known me as a factual and credible person until I "left the truth" and it is more important than ever that I demonstrate factual behavior.

Fortunately, there is enough damning evidence to convict this religion (as well as Rutherford) without having to resort to being wildly inflammatory to get a reaction.

• millie210
    millie210

dubstepped
    Just because that was a quote doesn't mean that he wasn't dissing women. He's the asshat that chose to quote that. He put pursuing women down. He clearly didn't respect the pursuit of a relationship. That's also just one of the things he said. Guy clearly didn't think highly of women. I'm surprised to see women taking up for him.

Hi dubstepped,

Not sure who the "women" (as in plural) are who are taking up for him in your view but to be totally transparent and clear -

I wanted the entire story.

What he said, its source of origin, what he meant, etc.

I dont bond through "pile on" threads or through group hate.

I am here for encouragement and most importantly an education in to this religion and its leaders.

I want to take deadly aim at the hydra that is this religion and to me, calm cool factual reason is the way to do that.

Pushing the "woman" button just simply isnt enough. I needed clarification.

• Simon
    Simon

He's hanging around with the wrong women!

• Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave

If my mom was still alive she would be appalled by this. She died believing in this cult. If she only knew😡

• lusitano o tuga
    lusitano o tuga

JUST A FUN PHRASE!

• lusitano o tuga
    lusitano o tuga

I agree Anee!

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

When I was in Bethel in the 1980's, I actually heard a different version of that phrase used. I don't remember exactly who it was that said it the first time I heard it, but I believe it was at the breakfast table by one of the GB. What I heard was "Brothers, why are you so interested in chasing a bag of bones and a hank of hair?"

For some reason, everyone laughed. Even the women.

I guess it was an inside joke?

Go figure.

A friend of mine there who played the guitar actually wrote a love song that he called, "My little bag of bones," or something like that.

Now THAT was funny.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Race aside, calling women such disrespectful terms is inexcusable because they are necessary to propagate the human race. They have characteristics that men do not--fine detail work, for instance. Men might be able to do brute work, but how many can do fine detailed work (sewing, for instance) with such precision? Women can and do make fine leaders. Some years ago, one took the lead in getting a company sponsored trip off the ground--and it worked well (other similar trips, without this person, were flops).

Then, you have the hypocrisy issue. Jokehovians claim to be non-racist. Regardless of whether "racism" is justified (as in different races having different traits that make them suitable for different tasks, living in different regions, or having different cultures), it is wrong to be making such remarks and then ballyhooing yourself as non-racist. One day they are anti-Semitic, the next they are philo-Semite and claim never to have been anti-Semitic. It is the lying that is objectionable. The same as when they claim to abide by the damnation book, claim to have the monopoly on abiding by it, and they supersede it with their own doctrine all the time. (Even claiming that anyone must follow their doctrine even if they can prove it wrong using their own damnation book).

Not that this hypocrisy was Boozerford's only sin. That thing stole Christmas, that thing wanted everyone doing at least 60 hours of field circus per month and having study quotas, and that thing was a general killjoy. But, not appreciating the value of women and being hypocritical were simply not acceptable.

• snowbird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit