Women are a "stack of bones and a hank of hair" - J.F. Rutherford

by krismalone 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• krismalone
    krismalone

I have heard rumors and anecdotes of J.F. Rutherford calling women "a hank of hair and a stack of bones" but I never thought it was documented. Well thanks to jwfacts I finally found the quote in print.

This J.F. Rutherford was a despicable, hateful character. He also made racial comments about Jews. Why didn't the board of directors counsel him or remove him for such hateful speech? Why didn't the female members just walk away or leave the convention and demand an apology? Answer is simple....It's a cult and cult leaders are above the law.

C.T. Russel also made demeaning comments about blacks and how it's a waste of time to minister to them. F.W. Franz also spoke about women being "cows in heat" and looking for sex.

Many don't realize that the WT has a history of racism and sexism. It's amazing how no one needs to lie or invent some story to discredit them. They do that by themselves with their own "spiritual food at the proper time."

Their false prophecies and protection of child molesters is greatly exposed on the internet but their history of racism and degrading women needs to be exposed as well.

Watchtower 1941 Sep 15 p.287
    "Why, then, should a man who has the prospect before him of being of the great multitude now tie himself up to a stack of bones and a hank of hair?" (Applause)" This was a quote from J,F, Rutherford in a convention talk.

Vindication I (1931) pp.156-157
    "The women make monkeys or dupes of men. The men have become effeminate, soft and easily influenced, and have lost their real manhood and sturdiness in the affairs of state and home. For instance, when men are sitting at a table and a woman approaches, all the men arise and pay her homage and thereby elevate her to a place above men. The men remove their hats upon entering an elevator, if a woman is present; and these things are said to be acts of respect and to show that a man is a gentleman. But it is subtle, and the real meaning is much different from that. It is a scheme of Satan to turn men away from God and from his announced rule of the proper position of man and woman. The Lord has declared that no effeminate man shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. (1 Cor. 6:9) This proves that the scheme or habit of paying homage to women is not of God, but from the great enemy of God. It is a veneer of being a proper thing, and therefore it is more subtle than otherwise."

Golden Age 1930 Apr 2 p.446
    "Whether the identity of the sexes, as such, will be preserved, we do not know. There have been some well authenticated instances in which women have been transformed into men, and it is possible that this transformation may become general and we shall all be brothers together."

• zeb
    zeb

what sort of people how bloody ignorant were they that they would applaud such sayings...

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Did JF Rutherford argue *FOR* transsexuals (as long as it's FtM)?

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

His attitude towards women was an overreaction to a time when women were customarily given an excessive amount of deference and respect by men. I'm sure if he had been born in OUR era he would have had a totally different policy towards the opposite sex and most likely towards jews as well.

That said, I in no way condone his attitude or the present status of women in our society. The whole idea of sexual equality is naive and misguided, but Rutherford was as misguided as they come.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What amazes me is the amount of women who embraced this cult in those early years with statements like these .

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

There is no excuse for such rantings.....

They need to be accepted for what there truely are; the deranged teachings of an embarrassment of a man.

But of course, he was chosen by God you know.....(😜😳)

• millie210
    millie210

I thought Rutherford was quoting that from somewhere else?

• AnneB
    AnneB

Millie210, you are correct, Rutherford was quoting from a poem called "The Vampire" by Rudyard Kipling. It's online if anyone wants to look.

In the poem a man is enamored of a faithless woman and can't see it but his friends can. The phrase that Rutherford quoted he did quite accurately since he was discussing losing out on the heavenly calling to chase after something not worth the time and effort. Rutherford was not being sexist, he wasn't dissing women, he was pointing out what a loss it would be to pursue such a course.

Quoting well-known poetry is a technique used in public speaking by persons with a classical education. It's the unenlightened who tear him apart in their ignorance.

• wifibandit
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

He forgot about the best part...lol JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit