Any men out there on jwd

by Jayson 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider
    Spike Lee is one of the best film directors working.

Six,

What are you drinking?

Spike Lee is an idiot, uppity, exploitive, money hungry, wannabe! His films promote sterotyping and in my opinion incite racial tensions. His lates ploy to mug for the camera in the Spike TV thing makes me sick!

His stuff makes me want to puke. I hope you were being sarcastic in your comment.

When I heard about Spike TV I didn't think of Spike Lee. When I think of Spike Lee I think of @$$#*!&$

Thunder

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I guess I probably wouldn't like the same movies as you do Thunder.

Shortly after 25th hour came out, I had a very cool opportunity to work with an academy award winning cinematographer (Stuart Dryburgh, The Piano) for two weeks. He had just seen the movie 25th hour and had also just finished the book. I told him that I thought 25th hour is the movie Alfred Hitchcock would make if he were young, black, and in love with NYC (also alive). He thought for a minute, and agreed with my point. He loved the movie, btw.

In addition to 25th hour, I enjoyed all of the following:

The Original Kings of Comedy (2000)
    Spike Lee's concert film about four major African American stand up comedians.

Clockers (1995)
    Harvey Keitel, John Turturro, and Delroy Lindo star in this Spike Lee drama.

Crooklyn (1994)
    The soundtrack for this movie is fantastic. A great simple story about an African American family in Brooklyn.

Malcolm X (1992)
    Roger Ebert's review proclaims "Malcolm X" one of the great screen biographies.

Jungle Fever (1991)
    The Washington Post calls Lee's film about an interacial romance a "provocative, quintessentially Spike symphony."

Mo' Better Blues (1990)
    Denzel Washington as the sax player.

Do The Right Thing (1989)
    Perhaps Spike Lee's most famous, most controversial, most influential film.

School Daze (1988)
    Spike Lee's second picture, a musical about fraternities at a Southern African American college, took a lot of flak it didn't deserve.

She's Gotta Have It (1986)
    Lee's first film rocked the independent film world and rightfully so.

He did a film a couple years ago named "Bamboozled". Easily his worst work, imo. Boring because it got so preachy, and why should Spike be doing "low budget" look stuff anyway? Even so, it gave one alot to think about.

I don't think Spikes films "promote" stereotyping at all. He takes an unflinching look at stereotypical people. Those people all exist, and do and say the kinds of things they do and say in his movies. I think Spike is absolutely correct to look at racism and racial stereotypes dead square on.

Btw, I think his lawsuit that spawned this thread is pretty damn goofy, unless they contacted him first, asking to make a deal drawing on his name. But I doubt they did.

Thanks for reminding me to rent She's Gotta Have It again.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Six: I still love you anyways

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Aww, you so sweet... even if I have crappy taste in movies?

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

I like the few Spike Lee movies I have seen and, although this behavior is disturbing, it is not surprising. The best of artists are sometimes the most irrational. I stay away from information about their personal lives because it biases my opinion of their work. I don't hate Spike Lee now because people have done much worse and still been compelling artists, but frivolous lawsuits are just so...ugghhh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit