What’s Your Favorite Type of Music/Songs/Singers???

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

When I was in middle school, the two hottest albums to have were Michael Jackson's Thriller and Prince's Purple Rain. Funny both with the JW connection. I, of course, was gifted Air Supply instead.

I did listen to all of the songs from those albums on the radio. We didn't have cable TV back then, so I never got to see MTV, but I remember the scandal over the Thriller video. There were zombies and voice overs from Vincent Price about "the hounds of hell." All very inappropriate for a JW. So, MJ had a few second disclaimer before the video started stating that he had no belief in the occult and that the entire story was fictional. This was his bid to not get disfellowshipped. I know he did eventually but I'm not sure if it was in regard to this song in particular.

At any rate, this blew up a big storm in the congregation. Listening to that song was wrong because it was demonized. Then, once Jackson was disfellowshipped, listening to any of his music was wrong because the listening counted as bad association with a disfellowshipped person.

I suspect every hall was different, though. We invited the traveling speaker back to our home for lunch during this time, and my parents asked them what they thought about the Michael Jackson issue.

The answer was given with tight smiles and they announced that that is a subject that they wouldn't talk about. This is a perfect, assertive response. My parents just didn't understand why they were getting stonewalled for asking a perfectly nosey question for which they had no right to hear the answer!

Also, went to see Metallica in the same venue we had previously attended district conventions in.

Guess which was more fun?

Metallica have great concerts!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Technically, Jackson disassociated himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit