Would you like to know your future?

by JH 11 Replies latest jw friends

• SYN
    SYN

The one problem with knowing what's going to happen to you in the future is this - the future is affected by something similiar to the Heisenburg Theory of Uncertainty - you change it, just by looking at it. OK, poor explanation, but it's 9AM and I'm exhausted!!!

So, in a word, NO.

BUT, I would like to know my IMMEDIATE future (i.e. 0-10 years from now). That would be cool! Then the predictions etc. wouldn't be so inaccurate, because the further ahead the info comes from, the more distorted it'll be by the things I do to change my circumstances to avoid mistakes etc, see?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    So your saying that would cause a paradox, and that would be a bad thing.

No, that's not what I'm saying. A paradox is not a "bad thing" or a "good thing". It just shows the impossibility of changing the past with knowledge of the future. It doesn't matter if you're changing the past with knowledge of the present or if you're changing the present with knowledge of the future.

In either case, a paradox would result because the "evidence" which made you change events would no longer exist. So how could you know about something that never happened/never will happen? You couldn't. So what made you go change history? You couldn't have.

The "killing your grandmother" example is the easiest one to picture as being impossible, but it applies to other forms of changing events. Your example is bound by this same rule. If the parents somehow knew they would die on XX day by seeing into the future and changed those events, they could no longer look into the past or future and see their death. The evidence that they would die on XX day does not exist.

And no, looking at horoscopes is not the same thing as gaining real knowledge of your future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit