Would you like to know your future?

by JH 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

If it was possible, would you like to know your future, every good thing and bad thing that will happen to you?

Would you be too afraid to go and look what your future would be like?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

No, because the knowledge of what is supposed to happen would certainly affect my decisions and invariably alter that future. Of course, if I saw a bad thing I'd want to figure out how to avoid it, but the good things would probably be changed too.

• JH
    JH

I wouldn't want to know my future. It would upset me to know ahead of time what sickness I would get when I would be old.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Yes, so I can correct my mistakes and change it for the better.

McFly !?!??!!!

• sandy
    sandy

Yes and No.

I cannot decide.

• Tammie
    Tammie

Yes, I would like to know my future. Then I would try to change any of the bad for the better.

• myself
    myself

no, I like the element of suprise.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Well, if you could know your future, wouldn't that mean it already exists, so you couldn't change it?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    so you couldn't change it?

Basically, but not because the future is already written, but because it would create a paradox.

Say you saw your future and found out that you would die if you went to XX place at YY time. You decide not to go there and avoid certain death. It works! But now that you no longer die at that place and time, how was it that you saw the event happen when you looked into your future? You couldn't have. But if you didn't see that in your future, how did you change the normal course of events?

A simpler one to understand is this: You go back in time and kill your own grandmother before she gave birth to your mother. Your mother no longer exists and neither do you. So how did you go back and kill her? You couldn't have done it, so who killed your grandmother?

The resulting paradox that would occur if someone were to change the past (either by travelling to the past or looking into the future and changing the present) is one reason time travel must not be possible.

• Tammie
    Tammie

Going back into the past and the future are two totally different things. To put things in an extream example. Lets say a young mother and father are killed in an accident. Their children survive, but have no relatives. The kids are put into the system, which is sometimes not a good thing. They grow up in they system and become crimials. Yet on the other hand if the parents knew about the thing that would end their life and avoided it. Kids grow up in a healthy enviroment and become a useful person to society.

So your saying that would cause a paradox, and that would be a bad thing. Gimme a break.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit