Talk to my Dad about beards.

by LovingLifeNow 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

2+2=5 12 hours ago

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums.

Maybe so but then again, you haven't met my Mum. (If she'd shave once in awhile, stop wearing those awful black dresses and quit smoking those cheap cigars, she'd be a nice lookin' woman.)

• Chook
    Chook

Could you really imagine that any of those famous Israelites could comprehend that the god of Abraham would condemn facial hair. American corporate image has precedence over natural facial features.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

A few weeks ago my JW father-in-law-took me by my beard and said loud "What is this?".

Despite I have a beard for 3 years, there was some frustration, I think. It had to be told.

I answered his question with "It's a beard".

G.

• Saename
    Saename

That's the basic example of the fallacy of moving the goalposts.

JW: not-p because x.

non-JW: not-x; therefore, p.

JW: not-p because y.

non-JW: not-y; therefore, p.

JW: not-p because z.

non-JW: not-z; therefore, p.

No matter what you say, your opponent will think of another (unreasonable) objection. Eventually, it will end with this argument:

JW: not-p because Governing Body said so in one of the publications.

On the other hand, here is what I can say, and this is a syllogism which by definition necessarily leads to the true conclusion:

1) Beards are appropriate for Jehovah's Witnesses in countries where they are accepted by the general population.

2) Beards are accepted in both the USA and Canada by the general population of those countries.

3) Beards are appropriate for Jehovah's Witnesses in both the USA and Canada.

The above is an example of deductive reasoning. You cannot deny the conclusion unless you can challenge one of the premises. Jehovah's Witnesses have to accept both premises (premise #1 is even printed in their magazines) because they are true, but they still refuse to acknowledge that the conclusion is true. This is wrong, irrational and illogical.

So... how do you debate someone who doesn't want to obey the rules of logic? You don't. You let them win and think they're smarter. Having that said, I myself will have to work on listening to my own advice...

• skimthesurface
    skimthesurface

Suppose it really depends if it's sported by a woman....

• Awakenednow
    Awakenednow
    I love beards! My sexy hubby sports a great one. Don't you think it's funny that the first thing Jw bros do on vacation is grow a beard? Never shave. For as long as they can. And the comments about they make a guy look intelligent, (some cases anyway) remind me of the college professors , maybe that's the problem, it's too close to college. Why can men not wear metrosexual clothes and yet have to shave off a neat beard to look less masculine? Wasn't Jesus a religious rebel? Why are we not supposed to imitate the world and it's standards and yet looking to western corporations and military to set the standard of acceptable dress and grooming? Maybe wt stepped in a big pile of doo doo with this control thingy and they don't know how to clean themselves up and still not smell. 🤔🤦🏼‍♀️
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

The only way this will become a non-issue is if one of the governing body members started wearing a beard. It can happen. Anything is possible at this point.

• undercover
    undercover

It's interesting how often the 'beard thing' comes up on exJW boards. With all the other scandals, erroneous doctrines, and other non-scriptural traditions, the beard subject draws more ire than any other two subjects together.

And the reason is: the 'beard rule' is a microcosm of the WTS/JWs. We've latched on to this seemingly innocent thing because it demonstrates the authoritarian rule of the WTS over it's members. One cannot dictate to oneself this simple grooming choice. It has to be made for you. The same for your entertainment choices. Your celebrations. Even your level of education.

When you're inside the religion, and allowing them to control your thinking and actions, you don't think about it. But as soon as you exert your freedom, this one minor thing sticks out as a huge signal that something is wrong with the ruling body of this group.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

StuckInARut2 » Great video. I've watched the video twice and wondered, if people shaved to keep even one person from stumbling, what if telling people to shave causes people to stumble?

Also, in the August 15 Watchtower 1954, where Jesus is clean shaven on the torture stake, behold, not only was Jesus clean shaven, check out the other guys. The one destined for Paradise, pictured on Jesus' right, also was beardless while the other criminal, the one who mocked, wore a beard.

The evil criminal also had body hair, and Jesus shaved under his arms.

It makes me wonder what would happen if people just began ignoring the policy (maybe after watching this video). What would they do? What could they do? Revoke privileges?

Imagine a policy based on one organizational leader trying to discredit his predecessor. It's almost Marxist in its simplicity! Was it accompanied by banning Russell's writings? Why not just eliminate people with beards?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit