Jehovah's Witness break off group?

by freedom96 17 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

There have been many discussions on this board about the hope that we all have that the WTS organization would tumble.

Some have thought that the internet will play a big role ( I think so), others think that it is abuse issues, others still think it might be doctrinal issues.

If the WTS was to take a fall, would there be a break off group in your opinion? Would there be the die-hard witnesses that would start a division, take over perhaps? Would some governing body members go one way, and others go another way?

Would maybe some high ranking elders decide they know best and go off on their own?

Many religions, and different organizations out there, have periods where there is unhappiness of some sort, and there are break away groups. Usually not too sucessfull, but it happens.

It is my understanding that the WTS came originally by members of the 7th Day Adventists, and I have heard of the Christian Jehovah's Witnesses (or something like that... are they even around anymore?)

So, with all the talk of the WTS going down, do you think it will collapse completely, or will there be other groups? I tend to think if there were break away groups, they will tend to even be more fanatical, and those that are more relaxed the way it should be, would eventually disappear.

I wonder if it broke into two or more, would one have to shun the other group?

Just something to think about.

Your thoughts?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    It is my understanding that the WTS came originally by members of the 7th Day Adventists

Actually they originators were from several Adventist type groups. 7th day was just one of them.

I don't think it will ever collapse or splinter into other groups. Most of us who leave it don't want any part of a group again. It would just start the whole process all over again.

• happyout
    happyout

I agree with Mulan that most of the people who leave are wary of joining a new religion, but I think there is a difference between leaving altogether and joining a splinter group. There are already those who have gone directly from dumbdom to another religion, and even started their own small Bible study group. Isn't that what Franz originally did? Had a small Bible study? I see more of that possibly happening, because so many of them (IMHO) have a true desire to worship God, and want to do that within the confines of a group.

Interesting question. I used to say if the dubs would allow freedom of thought I never would have left. I wonder if there were a splinter group that did that, would I be curious enough to investigate.

Happyout

• freedom96
    freedom96

I would guess that if there were splinter groups, the reason a person would join one over another is mainly if their friends or those with influence over them went with one particular one. Some might choose the one they are most familiar with, one most like the organization as it is now.

If it were to break up, I think there would be one major group, and several smaller ones that might fade away completely.

• metatron
    metatron

I think break off groups are unlikely. The ideas and rituals of JWs just aren't that compelling.

Take a good look at how the organization is quietly decaying - a very few might become 'born-again' but most simply

succumb to the ennui and broken promises and fade away. Mass depression and boredom don't impel people

to build a similar movement.

metatron

• minimus
    minimus

There is a new splinter group called "The Cult of Minimus" but it's pretty much been taken over by a bunch of Jezebels.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I don't think the fall of dubdom will be all that spectacular. I think it will just die out. I think it reached the peak in 1975 and this is just the death throes of a no-longer-useful cult. The only reason it is still kicking is because the US is innundated with other fundy cults and extremists, so the environment is still friendly. But sooner or later all the predictions about the end will have to logically die out.

Ravyn, of the Jezebel class

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

A question asked many times, will the Watchtower collapse ???

Unklikely, if you are making a billion dollars a year PROFIT (that's the key, not gross amount), it would seem unlikely you would ever run out of money, regardless of how much you are spending, but maybe I'm thinking in a one person mode, instead of a huge organization mode, it would depend on what the Watchtower's TOTAL expenses are for one year. And if all the lawsuits (if won) would make a dent in it.

But for the sake of argument, lets say it did collapse, there would DEFINITELY be new groups forming !!!!!!!!!!

There are so many older people that will go to their grave believing regardless of what happens, and believe they will wake up in "paradise earth". You will NEVER be able to convince them otherwise. My family a perfect example, I tell them things, they agree with me, but say that dreaded phrase "IT HAS TO BE TRUE !".

And aren't all religions more a less abreak off of another religion ???

Maybe even someone who never was a JW, could look at the religion, pull out a few doctrines,

- live forever on paradise

- make blood ok

- stop the prediction game

- make a unlimited heavenly class

- no door to door

as a few, and poof you have a new religion, and the first thing they would say to start the religion is ....... (I heard a lot of JW's say this about Russel when you question his teachings)

they had the right idea, but just didn't understand how to do it properly. (new light)

So as I have said many times (alot of people have)

Never say Never, cause anything can happen.

• heathen
    heathen

I think there are already enough nondenominational cults that accept the kinda free thought that everyone on this site seems to be in favor of .There are something like 30,000 different religions in the world right now .I don't think another one will make anykind of difference as to whether the WT will condemn them as apostate . The way they see it is if anyone doesn't follow the WT teachings they are apostate and according to the WT. They are not allowed to read any other religious material but those sanctified by the WT .

• rocketman
    rocketman

I kind of agree with Rayvn - I don't see the WTS crashing or falling, but rather, as time goes by, a simple decline in effectiveness and hence a loss of interest by its followers.

I believe that in some ways, the greatest enemy of the WTS is time. Time, as it has passed, has shown up their speculations for what they are. The passage of more time will likely serve to continue to do just that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit