Dutch judge rules that elders are not entitled to hide behind clergy-penitent privilege

by Anders Andersen 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Today a Dutch judge ruled that JW elders and the JW branch cannot invoke clergy-penitent privilege when it comes to information used in a judicial committee.

JW had filed a complaint with the courts because the branch office, two kingdom halls and a few elders' homes were raided by police almost 2 years ago in search of evidence related to child abuse issues.

JW argued that the information that was taken by police is protected by clergy-penitent privilege.

Today the judge ruled that 1) an organization doesn't haven't such a privilege, 2) JW elders don't always act as spiritual counselors. Their actions as judges in judicial committees aren't protected by privilege, and 3) conversations JW have with their elders are often not confidential at all (as per JW policy) so JW elders can't rightfully invoke clergy-penitent privilege to maintain absolute confidentiality, because there isn't absolute confidentiality in the first place.

JW are thinking about appealing the verdict.

• minimus
    minimus

Watchtower next round

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta

Bravo

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Go get 'em!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

And he is right

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Mark one for humanity

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I wish more judges would come to the same conclusions as he/she spoke the truth.

• Biahi
    Biahi

This judge “gets it.” 😀

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I cannot see an Appeal being successful. I cannot think what they can say to counter the Judgement. More Donation money will be wasted, trying to defend the indefensible.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The right thing.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit