Why ex-JW's so knowledgeable when it comes to the Bible?

by James Mixon 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    James Mixon
    Why when we leave the borg we become proficient on any subject on the Bible.
    Why did we go down that road? ...

I'm a born in. After leaving the religion deep in my brain there was this little question:
    "What - if they still have the truth?"

So I went "down that road". And I learned all about Russel, Rutherford, the history and all the man-made rules and doctrines. Now I'm free and I know, they don't have the truth.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    I have enjoyed reading the bible more since I left and I'm still a.Christian.
  • Lieu
    Lieu

Because once people beat feet they do something they never did as a JW, read the Bible (in context) by itself.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Having been a keen JW student for a few decades I knew all the teachings. When I realized the GB was full of crap, I started out reading the Bible independently and just let it interpret itself. Once I did that, the majority of their teachings started to come apart at the seams and then huge rips started to happen.

It is no wonder they are working on a Bible commentary starting with the book of Matthew. They don't want anyone doing any independent interpretation. So since brothers are starting to read the Bible by itself without magazines they will now introduce this commentary. Nice cult.

• Simon
    Simon

Speaking as a "born in" I always kind of just accepted what I'd been told about the bible.

It was only when I was questioning their teachings and honesty that I studied it all way more and that included the bible itself and the origins and 'archeology' of the bible and the stories in it.

If you are going to make a major life decision, you need to have confidence that it's correct. I think this may play out many times and the net result is that many exJWs are more knowledgable about the bible and it's various interpretations as well as the WTS doctrines and activities than most current JWs will ever be.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie

Yeah i knew the teachings as well due to extensive book studies, after i found JWFacts and a few other sites, i started to read more, now i find myself looking up other issues about what i was taught out od interest really. I just have to lean not to use what i know to argue with them.

• OUTLAW
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

To the extent that we had any curiosity as a Witness we were liberated from a religion that stifles it. We became free to learn about anything. Besides, it doesn't take much learning to beat a JW.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos
    On another topic someone mention, JW's turn out more atheist than any other religion.Why?

I believe that this is probably true, even though I haven't seen any proof to support it.

I think there are two reasons for this. The first reason (that xjw's want to find the real truth and take an objective look at the evidence) has been mentioned several times.

The second reason is that Witnesses have already discarded several significant false beliefs/doctrines, so I believe that they are already well on their way to becoming Atheist .

• No Immortality of the soul
    • No Trinity
    • No literal Hell where sinners are tortured

It seems as if they just stop short of becoming Atheists and hold on to the few remaining beliefs/doctrines.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

But, we were Bible students we knew when the end would come, we knew Matt.24;14

backward and forward. Oh boy we were so full of ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit