Do You Tip At Eateries?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The worst!!!

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Hopefully someone from the U.S., or anywhere else that tipping is customary can answer my question.

Why do you have to tip?

If the restaurant owner is charging you full price for a meal and NOT paying his staff properly- why is it the responsibility of the patron to make up the difference? If the owner was offering some reasonable discount on the food and drink, then maybe thats different.

Maybe if the owner paid his staff more, they would always have an incentive to provide good service regardless.

If you think customer service is a lowly job that needs tipping then here is a thought: every business and therefore every job is all about customer service. Without happy customers, businesses go broke.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

If you can't tip at least 20%, don't go to a restaurant. Go to McDonald's or some other fast food take out place. The wait staff/servers at restaurants don't make minimum wage. That's just how it is. They depend on tips to fill out the difference.

• Simon
    Simon
    Why do you have to tip?

It works both ways. There are undoubtedly servers who make a killing from it - if you're picking up $30+ a time from tables and have 3 - 4 or more per hour, that is a damn good rate and they would probably be willing to work for $0 regular pay to get it rather than only be paid a set rate and the gratuity go to the restaurant.

But I suspect there are plenty of cheapskates who make that less common and make the job difficult.

From a business perspective, you would want employees who want to provide great service and if adding "... so that they boost their pay with good tips" on the end of that achieves it, what do they care? It's a system that has evolved that way and the service in such places probably is measurably better than places where they don't have that.

• minimus
    minimus

Joey, in this country, tipping is part of dining or service. Personally though, I don’t like tipping if I have to get out of my car place an order, wait for it to be given and then see a little tip jar near the register. Why does anybody deserve a tip when I come and pick it up myself?? If though I’m calling for a pizza delivery, the driver depends on a tip for his services so I will tip accordingly

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    There are places where they don't even give you a menu anymore, you have to go online and scan a code.

What if you don't have a phone?

• minimus
    minimus

I’ll tell you what I HATE. Due to Covid, you and another person are seated at a restaurant and only one menu is given and you must share it. Wtf?? Then the server will continue coming to you to ask you what you want but you haven’t had a chance to look at the menu because one person has it in front of them and you haven’t gotten to see it yet. It’s ridiculous!

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

True Story.

One time I went out with about 10 of my rowdiest friends where we drank and ate like kings. Our well off friend offered to pay the bill (we all drank to that). As we were about to drive off from the restaurant the waitress came out and exclaimed: "Thanks for the great tip!". All of us turned to our friend and asked "WOW, how much did you leave her!". His reply: "I didn't leave anything. I paid the bill you guys were supposed to leave the tip"

Needless to say we went back in and gave her what was likely the best tip of the night.

She thanked us for restoring her faith in humanity.

• minimus
    minimus

Good for the waitress bringing it up. An episode in Sopranos has a waiter doing the same thing to 2 of Tony’s henchmen. The guy ended up dead.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

Hopefully someone from the U.S., or anywhere else that tipping is customary can answer my question.

Why do you have to tip?

If the restaurant owner is charging you full price for a meal and NOT paying his staff properly- why is it the responsibility of the patron to make up the difference? If the owner was offering some reasonable discount on the food and drink, then maybe thats different.

Maybe if the owner paid his staff more, they would always have an incentive to provide good service regardless

How is it that people don't know this?

Restaurant servers and bartenders are paid a lower hourly wage. Lower than standard minimum wage. This is codified in law. For many parts of the country, this wage is between $2.50 - $5.00 per hour. It is not a decision by restaurant owner who are "cheapskates".

Tipping is the primary source of wages for these people, who according to the BLS earn on average $10-16 / hour. Tip your server people, whether you like it or not. Dining out in the US requires it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit