Do You Tip At Eateries?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I generally give 20 to 30% for tips.

We used to hang out with a young couple when I was married . Both of us newlyweds. When check time to basically split the guy would leave no tip on our check. I remember it happening twice and finally telling my wife I was sick and tired of adding extra for their cheapness. Third time out I specifically said, “ Hank you are going to give a tip aren’t you?!” His response was why should we do that when that’s their job? I said if you don’t leave a tip I’m not ever going out with you two again. Never went back out with them again.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I tip well when good service. Even when service is not so good I leave a tip. Just 20%. 30% for good Service. And more if service was beyond great.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Simon: No, these aren't rules established here. Many restaurants have menus and many do let you wait inside. The problem is, as I said, establishments (especially chains) cheaping out because they want less staff to do more tables. Again, if you don't want to clean menus, just print a piece of paper on your office printer for those that don't want to figure out how to use the app, it's late, I've been on my phone all day because of work, my battery is dead, now I need to pass around my wife's phone, what do the kids want, pass around a phone to them?

The waitress doesn't have to come around to give you menus or ask for drinks or give you the check, because they expect you to do it on their app/website that then tracks you and pushes advertising. To me that's less service, because I might as well do takeout then. I'm not going to tip more than the 18% if the waiter isn't allowed or won't come to my table, I also won't go back there.

Same with waiting outside, stand up for your customers, don't let someone, who doesn't have kids (you know the type) push you around because they look rich and say they're well connected.

I generally tip 20-30% or more (I've even tipped well over 100% on a $120 dinner), partially because I can (I can deduct expenses on my taxes) and partially I do think it's well earned. But especially chain restaurants are having their waiters come around only twice or three times to your table in an hour, glass empty, plates empty, "just use the app if you want service" - fuck that - don't work there because a lot of people won't go there anymore and then they'll be surprised when they go out of business. Local restaurants are a lot better.

• minimus
    minimus

Nothing worse than waitstaff with an attitude! I enjoy dining out. It’s part of the experience to enjoy a nice night out. Most servers want to treat their customers right because their livelihood depends on it.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Yes, absolutely. In the US it is expected and usual.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

T.I.P's?

Oh, the money that the employer does not pay their employees, and expects the patrons to cover? My sister worked for a restaurant , and that is exactly what happened. She was paid minimum wage, and as she made tips the amount of the tip was deducted from minimum wage. Example: If minimum wage was $7.50 (U.S.) per hour and she made $5.00 in tips her paycheck showed $2.50 per hour for that hour. If she made $8.00 in tips her paycheck showed zero for the hour and the amount of tips as the tips they were.

I give a T.I.P. on the level of service for that reason. Server gives crap service they get a crap tip, if any. Good service = a good TIP. GREAT service = a GREAT tip.

And no, I do not shive-a-git if you think I am or accuse me of being a cheapskate, or any other choice names.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@FedUpJW: I think that practice has largely been made illegal. It’s also not necessary to report tips, to either your employer or the tax man and then they have to pay you minimum wage.

Hence good waiters can make significant amounts of money, you do 5 tables in an hour, you get 10/table, that’s good income, hell even 5/table is good. Kind of like contractors, as long as business is good, you do really good. It’s not going to make you a millionaire but it’s an honest income.

• minimus
    minimus

I feel bad for people who truly work hard for their customers and receive little in return. If you won’t fairly tip, don’t ask or expect to be served.

• hoser
    hoser

When we used to go out pre covid I would never add the tip on my card. I would always have some cash to give the server directly. Then I know who’s getting it and It is their choice to declare it as income or not.

• Overrated
    Overrated

After convention$, I have seen brothers tip with Watchtowers. What kind of shit is that and makes them look real cheap!?! Such low lifes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit