Do You Feel That Your Parents "Did a Good Job" Raising You?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Being raised a Witness, my mother has asked me whether or not I held her responsible for her bringing me up in the way that she has. I feel that my upbringing is something my mother can be proud about. Even though I do not believe in the "truth", I do feel that she did a good job of raising us. Do you feel that your parents did a good job in raising you???

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

NO.

My mother and my father should not have had children. They had them like most people back then--no birth control.

Neither one proved to be a good parent. The only positive thing to come out of my upbringing was my mothers desire to be rid of me. As a result I was pushed to go to college....because "you have to support yourself as soon as possible".

At least I got my education (grants, student loans and working), and moved out immediately.

Now, of course, she is lonely, having pushed both daughters and all other relatives away.

Being a witness just made things worse. I was told I had to learn how to be independent and support myself then, when/if I ever got married, I had to be in subjection to the husband. Messed up.

Francois had a post on the thread about forgiveness that I need to read again.....

• unique1
    unique1

My husband says I turned out suprizingly normal considering my upbringing. My dad was great, my mom however is a psycho. I don't do drugs and didn't get knocked up at 15 and haven't been to jail, so I guess they did a pretty good job aside from my mom endowing me with some real emotional issues.

• riz
    riz

My parents did a great job, if I do say so myself I feel very lucky to be the child of those two fantastic people.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

That's the dumbest question I've seen in a while.

• minimus
    minimus

I can understand that.

• sandy
    sandy

That is a very good question.

My answer is: Hell No!

Just kidding. I have some positive things to say about my parents.

They always provided food, shelter and other physical necessities of life. They tried to raise us well, in their own sick way.

I say that because they didn't know any better. They learned from their parents how to raise children. My parents were children raising children.

I could continue to be angry with them and find a million things that they did wrong and throw it in their face but that would do me no good. I already tried. They have apologized for some of the things they did or didn't do for us. I had to stop blaming them at some point and forgive them for things they don't even know they did.

I have to accept how I was raised and fix the emotional damage on my own. I made a list about a year ago listing all the negative and positive things my parents did while raising my siblings and I. I know I will never repeat their same pattern.

It is a little easier to forgive when you learn about your parent’s history.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

See what Sandy said. That about covers it.

They were two troubled people doing the best they knew how. Then my mom got religion. Unfortunately it was the JW cult. This exacerbated an already bad situation.

But none of it was out of meaness or evil intent. I understand what the situation was and do not hold a grudge against them. Although I am very disapointed with my childhood years.

Outoftheorg.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I wouldnt change my parents for a million dollars (2 million maybe). They are simply the best!

Brummie

• minimus
    minimus

It is sad when you hear of parents that abandoned their kids or treated them as if they wished they weren't born. Some people just aren't cut out to be good parents. And more kids are raised by just one parent than ever before. I do think that most parents attempt to do the right thing, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit