Pseudonyms

by no-zombie 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

One of this things that constantly reminds me of the extent and the reach the Organization has into our lives, is the fact we all need pseudonyms to have a conversation or to make a comment in this even here in this place. Even when people have left the Society (by however it has occurred), its rare to see somebody change their online presence to their personal name.

Now I'm not expecting people to do that of course, fore we are all free to do what we like (which is the real beauty of this forum) but the fact that it doesn't occur that often, shows how much we've all been effected by being told over and over again, "not to be critical of God's organization". Of course there could be an number so side issues at play here; with some people not wanting to burn their bridges in an attempt to keep what reputation they have left intact and sadly a small minority others, do enjoy the anonymity to just talk trash ... but if a person can not feel free to stand up and respectfully make a critical comment or ask a thorny question without fear of repercussion from their religion, then doesn't it show that there is no real freedom in that faith. And we are real slaves, body and mind ... no better that robots.

And if that was what God really wanted in the first place, why did he give us an inquiring mind and a personal conscience?

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I'm more affected by having known a few "oddballs" that I wouldn't want to give a chance to know me here.

I've had an unlisted number for almost 20 years because of one of them. I'm not even going to go into the specifics in case they happen to stumble onto this site.

• humbled
    humbled

There can be repercussions to our reputations by putting our name out here. But it is true that:

if a person can not feel free to stand up and respectfully make a critical comment or ask a thorny question without fear of repercussion from their religion, then doesn't it show that there is no real freedom in that faith.

And in regard to the JWs that is absolutely true.Those who are in the shadows of course have that burden you mention above.

But for some of us as we gingerly move into our new frontiers away from the negative WT are changing a bit —maybe even metamorphing into winged creatures— and are tender about ourselves. And we have been injured. also it is easier to confide some of the tough things in our lives if we do not feel too exposed.

Another issue that comes into pay is the old narratives we can loose by leaving our name outside. Some may just want a fresh page to write on.

This is a good thing to reflect on.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I just wanted to basically make the point that, that even here, we are not sometimes totally free because of the power the Organization has over others in squashing the genuine discussion of theological questions or operational policy. And by no means was I inferring that we don't need to be invisible from time to time, particularly those who may be reaching out for some kind help or support from this community.

I remember when I made my first reply to a post, I was petrified that somehow it could be traced back to me and be burned because of it ... and that's the saddest part of it all. That's what I've was tying to say.

• venus
    venus

It shows how much people have been spoiled by the cultic geneius of WT leadership.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree no-zombie, and I admire you using your real name on here LOL.

I would advise all who have simply "faded" and wish to remain that way to use a Pseudonym, and also to not put too much personal information on here, and perhaps put in some misdirection.

This may sound paranoid to some, but I was outed on here, and got the 2 Elder visit where they desperately tried to nail me for Apostasy, so the danger is real.

I have thought many times of DAing , but I have extended JW family who now talk to me a bit, some come and visit in my home. I don't really want to lose that. I have also recently been helping a young JW girl who is trying to fade, and doing well actually, but she would not have dared to approach me had I been D.A'd. She feels like a daughter to me almost, I have known her since she was born.

I don't believe it is possible to be free of the Org ever really, we cannot expunge our JW past, and even if we DA or are DF'd they still have power over the JW's we know, and that limits our freedom. Sad but true.

• cofty
    cofty

We all have a life beyond the cult and I just don't want this to be part of the search results if somebody Google's my real name.

It shows how much people have been spoiled by the cultic geneius of WT leadership - Venus

Don't be so dramatic. They are fucking imbeciles.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    ...the fact that it doesn't occur that often, shows how much we've all been effected by being told over and over again, "not to be critical of God's organization".

We have in fact been affected by that organization. However, using screen names, not only is common practice throughout the entire internet of things, but it's a safety common practice.

I'm not sure that not using our real names here is necessarily a reflection of the effects of that organization. However, I do notice that very few people provide identifiable information about themselves or people they know. To me it's a combination of feeling safe in the internet in general, but also that some people are still in the process of sorting things out for themselves, and are still under different degrees of influence from that organization.

The influence of that organization is evident in other ways, particularly when some members still behave and treat this forum as if it is a congregation. Some expect the same "united in the same way of thinking" nonsense that the WT promotes, hence, they act as if anyone with a different approach, or anyone who challenges their believes is not supposed to be here.

It's not a good practice to provide personal information online, aside from that, yes, some current and former JWs prefer to maintain their anonymity. However, from the moment when they become aware that the WT is full of shit, it's on them how much they let that organization mandate their own decisions and lives.

• carla
    carla

My jw gave me heat once because on all the ex jw boards people 'refuse' to post their real names. What do they have to hide and so on... I said, if the wt would like to name the so called interpreters of their ungodly Bible and who writes the articles for the asleeps and wt then perhaps more ex jw's will post their real names too!

Had to take that back and add that when the wt quits holding family & friends hostage with shunning maybe then an ex jw/fader will feel safe putting their real name out there. (though there could always be some random nutter be it a jw or not from somehow using your personal information so use caution with all social media is always a safe bet)

• JeffT
    JeffT

My name is Jeff Thomas and that's my real picture over there. I've been out since 1988 and I don't care if the WTBS wants to come look me up. I'll be happy to talk to them. My real identity has been on this board for a long time, as well as my Facebook page etc. I hope to publish a novel one of these days and I consider this advertising. I don't know if that attitude makes me brave or stupid.

But I'm and exception, and I well understand why so many do not want to reveal themselves. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have given them a fake name the first time I went to the Kingdom Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit