Why is there a large cat in this picture?

by slimboyfat 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I wonder if anyone can explain this

Ezekiel 34:25 says

And I will make a covenant of peace with them, and I will rid the land of vicious wild beasts, so that they may dwell securely in the wilderness and sleep in the forests.

The land is said to be rid of vicious wild beasts, so why does the Watchtower picture in the new Pure Worship book show a large predatory cat on the tree in this picture? It looks like a black panther or possibly a jaguar

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/pure-worship/restoration/promises-of-restoration/.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Probably because the Watchtower is mixing up Isaiah 11:6 with Ezekiel 34:25. One says Jehovah will rid the land of wild beasts and the other says the lion will lay down with the lamb.

You sure that isn't the Cheshire Cat and Alice?

• TD
    TD

You sure that isn't the Cheshire Cat and Alice?

LOL - First thing that popped into my head

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You sure that isn't the Cheshire Cat and Alice? - Lol.

I thought it looked a bit like that scene in The Jungle Book (1967).

"Come on, Man-Cub, get up in that tree. Things will look better in the morning."

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Black panthers are warm cuddly creatures

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

It looks like the WT artist went to a lot of trouble to try and conceal the panther, especially with the green spots that match the background. I had to really look for the cat.... wasn't immediately discernible.

I can't imagine something like that appearing in a Christian journal... like Prophecy Watchers, Christianity Today or Creation magazine.

Caption reads:

"No danger will threaten your peace. You will be able to walk alone into the deepest forest, enjoying its majestic beauty, even sleeping there in perfect safety, sure to wake up rested and unharmed" !

The watchtower is mocking JW members in my opinion. They want people to go to sleep - either while alive or dead. The message is pretty clear: Just trust them and you are guaranteed to wake up rested and unharmed. But Jesus said that the rich man lifted up his eyes in hell after he died.

Very creepy & deceptive.

• a watcher
    a watcher

I love that picture. A young female sleeping in the forest, completely safe.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It’s a nice picture. It looks pre-Raphaelite in style. (See below)

I think Sea Breeze is right: the black panther/jaguar looks purposely hidden/concealed. Maybe the artist wondered how to depict the absence of wild animals and struck upon the idea of representing it by drawing an animal that can barely be seen. It’s a bit confusing/creepy, if that was the intent.

Plus there is an owl—again, don’t know why. Owls signify wisdom, night time, sleep, dreams, and magic, in our culture. But they probably didn’t have those connotations when the Bible was written. Owls are not mentioned in Ezekiel, as far as I can make out, but they occur in Isaiah and Jeremiah in contexts depicting desolation and desertion of the land, Job calls himself a companion of jackals and owls, Micah refers to howling and mourning like and owl, and they are described as unclean in the law.

I wonder who the Watchtower artists are. Have the names of Watchtower artists ever become public knowledge? Is this picture even an original Watchtower picture? I just assumed it was. I’ve checked the credits and I don’t think it is credited to an outside source.

Artist Vincent Deporter is a former JW, but as far as I know he never did artwork for Watchtower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Deporter

• waton
    waton
    I wonder who the Watchtower artists are. Have the names of Watchtower artists ever become public knowledge?

wt featured for a while personna with large eyes , the trademark of a popular artist who had converted.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Black Panthers the idiot radical nut job human group are sick and deranged, Black Panthers the animal are a beautiful and graceful animal. This looks to me like Jungle book meets Alice in Wonderland. With the fire flies looking more like fairies than flies. All there needs to be is a little bottle that says drink me next to her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit