• doodle-v
    doodle-v

*doodle-v clears her throat*

oh sliver of liver, get lost go away

you shake and you shiver, oh sliver of liver

oh sliver of liver, get lost go away

• shamus
    shamus

Did you eat it? Or are you just being silly?

In any case.... my condolonces.... (spelling?)

• Englishman
    Englishman

I much prefer lamb's liver to pig's liver. It's really yummy with onions. Her ladyship often cooks it with mashed potato and gravy.

Englishman.

• freein89
    freein89

your poetry is sublime, I actually like liver, but everybody else I know hates it. Oh sliver of liver will be going through my head all day!!!

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Englishman, my mom used to fry liver with onions... smelled wonderful but OH GOD THE TASTE WAS HORRIBLE! GAG

I actually dont know what kind of liver it was. Maybe it was pig's liver, hehe

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

when I was a little JW kid I was told about the horrors of the Great tribulation and how Satan would test us. I figured since I hated liver, it would be all that I had to eat in the concentration camp. So one day I decided I was not going to give Satan the 'in' on me so I made myself eat and like liver. Once I got passed the texture---it was not so bad.

Now I really do like it, and it makes me feel good when I eat it---something to do with the Lupus---so I have come up with a yummy recipe for calves liver: Liver Hash

1 pound of bacon, cut with kitchen shears when it is still frozen into 1 inch pieces;

2 large onions finely chopped;

1 large bag of frozen hash brown potato cubes(usually about 1 1/2 pounds--tiny cubes)--or chop about 1 1/2- 2 pounds of potatoes into tiny(1/4 inch) cubes;

2 pounds of fresh calves liver cut into bite sized pieces while still raw (use the kitchen shears again);

garlic salt, black pepper, paprika, to taste; sour cream and Louisianna Hot Sauce(optional--but suggested!)

in large skillet or wok, fry bacon until it is limp cooked, not crisp-drain 2/3 of the grease. Add onions and cook until transparent. Add frozen hash brown potato cubes and cook until they are slightly browned. Add the liver and cook quickly on high heat until liver bites are just cooked thru--do not overcook or it will be tough. Toss with the spices and cook with lid on for about 5 minutes on low heat. This is very good served with a dollop of sour cream and Louisianna Hot Sauce. Makes 4-6 servings. Freezes well.

I find the sweetness of the meat and onions to be offset by the savory bacon and spices, the potato carries it all well. and with the bacon and onions my husband does not complain about the cooking smell of the liver in the house either---but he still won't taste it. He does not know what he is missing!

yum.

Ravyn

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I also love crunchy fried chicken livers with Hot Sauce...but they need to be in smallish pieces--if they are too big they can be tough too. mmmm now I am hungry for what I don't have! And payday is not until Friday! thanks alot!

Ravyn

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

Great story Rayvn!

hmmmm... maybe my palate has matured a bit since I was a child. I could be missing out... I'm actually tempted to try that recipe!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Englishman is right - if you are thinking of trying liver, get lamb's liver.

To me beef liver is stronger, and pork liver is strongest (of domesticated meats).

I have eaten beef liver raw on a dare.

I have not tried wild liver of any kind, and if I did it would be well cooked.

Ravyn, interesting recipe! and yes, chicken livers are good eats!

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I have never seen lamb's liver in the US in a regular grocery store---I would love to try it. I buy CALVES liver because beef is stronger tasting and it seems the young livers are not as strong. It is usually one of the cheapest meats you can find. I need to get back in the habit of once every week or two--I felt so much healthier when I did that, despite the claims of high cholesterol.

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit