Is the husband the head of his wife?

by Doug Mason 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Interestingly, in regards to the healthier gender. The males are far more prone to be unhealthy, miscarried, and die earlier.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Apologies. I had not made my thoughts totally clear.

Firstly, I wanted to show that Paul's attitude towards women was not misogynistic. I attempted that by referring to what Paul wrote a few chapters prior as well as in Galatians (a letter that is genuinely by Paul).

I then looked at the structure of the context of 1 Cor. 11:2-16 to demonstrate that someone had later inserted it within Paul's discourse.

Following that, I suggested that the inserted sentiments reflected the thoughts expressed in the Pastoral Epistles (Timothy and Titus). These particular Epistles were written at the end of the first century or early in the second century, about 50 years after Paul's death.

The Pastoral Epistles, and hence 1 Corinthians 11:2-6, thus reflect the evolutionary stage of the Jesus-community and they do not reflect what Paul said, thought or wrote. From what I have read, I understand that the term Christianity and probably "Christian" first occurred at the time of the Pastoral Epistles, and they speak of things that Paul had no interest in -- formal structure.

If you think that the Watchtower Society changes Scripture, a little research will show that they are rank amateurs at the task. The first substantive New Testament was developed 300 years after Paul's time (the earliest NT writer) and the material underwent much revision during that period and it continued to be revised afterwards.

There is no agreed Canon nor any agreed text.

Doug

• venus
    venus

Apostle Paul is known for his reverse understanding. It is too obvious that God did say man had become imperfect by somebody's sin because He categorically told Cain "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” (Gen 4:6,7)

Yet Paul understood it as man having no control over sin. Hence if you want to get the truth, you must often take just opposite of what Paul says.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Fisherman I am the head when my wife is not home.

Ha ha Nice one. Same here.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Thank you Doug, that is very interesting. I knew that many academics believe the more misogynistic parts of the NT were much later additions, but I did not know how they came to that conclusion.

I often think its strange that Watchtower got rid of the stoning story at John 8 because it is thought to be a later addition. But they are perfectly happy to accept that Paul wrote the pastoral epistles, when there is an awful lot of evidence he didn't.

Also, I find it incredible they do not let women so much as hold mics. Yet even *their* translation has pheobe as a Dikkonos - Deacon, or ministerial servant as they term it.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I find it interesting that when observing families where the wife is the obvious dominant one, the husband is basically worthless. As if he has no ability to function productively unless he "feels" this role of being the head of the family.

I see strong women who have the family dynamic where the husband is thought of as the head of the household. Personally, I see this as the best dynamic. Male egos are super fragile. Females are able to "work it" so that they are actually making sure the right decisions are made, while protecting his ego. My daughter is one. I watch the dynamic. I is clear to me she has the last word, but he does not feel this. She picks her battles wisely. Knows when to let go, and when not to let go of a decision.

I am so proud of her! Wise beyond her years.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Is the husband the head of his wife?

He would look pretty silly there, IMO. Plus, she would need a really strong neck brace. And what to wear??

parakeet

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Doug, your argument that this passage is a later insertion in to the text is very persuasive.

It would seem that as the movement that Paul had started grew, men seeking to influence it, and to control it, felt compelled to pen these words, and the Pastorals, to try to cover over Paul's understanding of how Jesus wanted women treated.

Much of the early appeal of the movement was its call to freedom, from the control of Priests and the whole Jewish Temple arrangement, but these later men wished to bring back the misogyny and control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit